Can viewsheds be automated?

soupssoups Global Mapper UserPosts: 8
edited June 2011 in Technical Support
Hi,
If I have a feature line and I want to place an optical camera on a post along that line somewhere for maximum coverage, I can do this manually and it is time consuming through trial and error. Can Global Mapper do this via an automated way. Eg get Global Mapper to do a viewshed analysis every 100 meters along the line and only show those results with maximum coverage?

Thanks!

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited June 2011
    You could select the line with the Digitizer Tool, then right-click and use the Advanced Feature Creation option to create point features spaced every 100 meters along the line. Then with those points selected, switch to the View Shed Tool and left click, which should prompt you to calculate a view shed at each selected point. Once those are created, you could use the Search->Search by Attributes menu command to find those transmitter locations with the highest percentage coverage.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • soupssoups Global Mapper User Posts: 8
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for your reply global_mapper. However the Advanced Feature Creation Option -> Create Point Features - this only creates a new point feature at the line vertices and there is no option to specify spacings of 100m. I am using version 10 though.
    Cheers!
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited June 2011
    The option to create points spaced at some interval along a line was not added until after v10, so you would need to upgrade to a newer version to have that option.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • soupssoups Global Mapper User Posts: 8
    edited June 2011
    OK thx Mike, I'll get someone to buy version 12 for me.