Global Mapper v25.0

Error loading LAS files Out of Memory - need to reset way files load?

Niddly
Niddly Global Mapper User
edited May 2011 in Technical Support
Hi,
I think I need to just reset the way my files load - I am loading large LAS files and yesterday (my first day using GM) I was able to open heaps 20+, now I am getting the following message when trying to open 2-3 files:

Unable to open file C:\Documents and Settings\NBENNETT\My Documents\LiDAR\L0021_Wellington\Classified LAS\7D.las
Out of memory.
LidarLasOverlay.cpp - 1077
Version: v12.02
Build Time: Apr 24 2011 21:15:25

I think when I ticked the "use this option for all files" box, it now doesn't ask me when loading files what options, i.e. whether to create grid/ elevation model. So if this is the solution, would you kindly point me in the right direction? Cannot locate info in other forums or help doc.

Regards

Niddly:confused:

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2011
    Niddly,

How large are the files that you are trying to load? Are you trying to load them as point clouds or gridding as elevation data? You should be able to get the load options dialog back up just by closing Global Mapper then re-opening it.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Niddly
    Niddly Global Mapper User
    edited May 2011
    Hi Mike,

LAS files are about 200MB each & I have 143 files. I have added a Map Catalog but am still trying to work out how to get the data to appear. Using the Map Catalog option gives me the load option for choosing to display points or create grid which I was looking for, and I have saved this as a workspace.

Now I have also loaded a vector layer of roads and a raster image. I have zoomed in on my area of interest and want to start using my elevation data to (a) generate line of sight for a few places, (b) generate a range of cross-sections for another area, and (c) generate contours.

Problem is, I can't work out how to get the elevation layers to appear. If I choose Control Centre > select my Catalog (called Wellington) > Options, I can then choose when the layers are displayed.

However I have chosen zoom range to Below a Given Map Scale 1:8000 but the data doesn't appear, even though my map scale is 1:7847. Have also tried using Pixel size but not sure what I should be putting here - chose 1000 and 500 but no result. Tried changing the % of Box Size to 5 & 50 and this doesn't work either.

I'm now trying the option of creating GMG files so I can close the LAS files and possibly just use the grid instead?

Nat
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2011
    Nat,

If you are using a map catalog then you don't need to use the separate option to control when they appear, that is part of the map catalog setup itself. If you want to use the data for elevation I would load it with the elevation grid option. However, for fastest results you could batch convert the files to GMG files to have them gridded and converted to elevation files for use in those functions.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com