Vector areas to grid

zmalolzmalol Global Mapper UserPosts: 11
edited May 2011 in Vector Data
Hi,
I have vector map of some polygons (areas) with an atribute. I need to get a regular XYZ grid with the "elevation" equal to atribute value in each area.

I have tried to create thematic map of the areas. I used styles to make different colors for attribute values. Then I exported this map to GeoTiff in gray scale. Now I am trying to convert grayscale to elevation, and I hope to be able to create XYZ grid from elevation.

I think it is silly, isn't it? :-)

I am sure that there is straightforward way of convertion attributed areas to grid.

Cheers,
Zmalol

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited May 2011
    Zmalol,

Indeed there is an easier way. Just select the layer in the Control Center and press Options, then set the elevation to come from the desired attribute. Then, right-click on the layer and select the option to create an elevation grid from the areas and you should get what you are after.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • zmalolzmalol Global Mapper User Posts: 11
    edited May 2011
    Thanks Mike,

I try to follow your instruction but it seems that something is going wrong. I work on dataset of adjacent areas like these in example: http://iga.vot.pl/example.zip
    There is an attribute "Biomasa" it the dataset. I got 'Elevations' from that attribute value. Then I "Created Elevation Grid from 3D Vector Data". I got an elevation of 0 everywhere despite the attribute is 2, 3, 4 and 5 in the areas.

There is a bunch of options in "Create Elevation Grid from 3D Vector Data" so perhaps I am not using them correctly.

Cheers,
    Zmalol
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited May 2011
    Zmalol,

It sounds like you are doing the right thing and it worked perfectly when I tried it. Can you save a .gmw file after you've setup the options and created the grid and send that to me to take a look at how you have this setup?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com