Global Mapper Pro

Creating DEM

tcengiz
tcengiz Global Mapper User
edited February 2013 in Elevation Data
Hello,
I want to create DEM from contour lines. In control center menu I select "Create Elevation Data...." but I have a warning like "There must be at least three unique points of known elevation to create an elevation grid". I wondered that the means of this warning is the name of elevation field of the contour data must be "elevation or another fixed name". Please inform me.
Thanks
Turkan

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2011
    Turkan,

It sounds like the elevation of the contour lines isn't being recognized. Is it just the display label for the lines? You will want to go to the Options dialog for the layer and if the elevation is in an attribute specify which attribute has the elevation. If it's just in the label, just set the line type for the layer to one of the Contour line types and then the label should automatically be treated as the elevation.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • tcengiz
    tcengiz Global Mapper User
    edited May 2011
    Thanks, the problem was it.
  • Yolandie
    Yolandie Global Mapper User
    edited June 2012
    Hi Mike, i have the same problem as Turkan, I got my txt file from Modelmaker, but Global mapper Cant open it. How do i resolve this. i saved the file as a dxf and an txt file. Please advice
  • global_mapper
    edited June 2012
    Can you provide a sample DEM .txt file from Modelmaker? I'm not familiar with that format so I'm not sure if it could somehow be loaded into Global Mapper. You can of course create a DEM directly from the loaded DXF or XYZ txt file if those are available.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • MikeG
    MikeG Global Mapper User
    edited February 2013
    Mike,

I have 2 shape file of contours that I want to use to compare the pre-elevations to the post elevations. Please provide the sequence of operations.

Thanks,

MikeG
  • global_mapper
    edited February 2013
    Mike,

You can right-click on the contour layers in the Control Center and separately create a grid for each of them, then use the Analysis menu command to Combine/Compare Terrain layers to create a difference layer.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/products/global-mapper.php
  • MikeG
    MikeG Global Mapper User
    edited February 2013
    Mike,

Thanks, I had forgotten how to do it.

Mike