Global Mapper v25.0

Exports to PNG/world file don't work in Oziexplorer

aawilson
aawilson Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited May 2011 in Technical Support
Here's hoping someone has both pieces of software...

When i export a raster map from GM (that is Geotiff) to a PNG with world file, in Ozi I get a message "cannot read calibration". If i export the same map to a JPG it will work fine in Ozi.

When i first purchased Ozi i had also bought with it the Etopo Canadian topo maps which are PNG, they worked fine. But I think those maps had Memory Map's type of calibration file. I double checked to make sure the dll that supports PNG was still there, in the Ozi files; I'm good that way. Ozi supports both 8 and 24 bit.

On the OziExplorer users forum someone suggested that perhaps the problem lay in the
number of colors in the exported map (or something along those lines!). Would anyone by chance have a copy of both GM and Ozi and be able to try an export to PNG and see if Ozi will open it?

PS my version of Global Mapper is 11.02

thanks, Aaron

Comments

• aawilson
    aawilson Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited May 2011
    Update....i took a look at the world files exported from GM in both the JPG and PNG formats, for the same map. The numbers in the world file are the same. So, I deleted the PNG world file, then the JPG image file, leaving the JGW as the geoeference for the PNG image. Then i right clicked on the JGW file and simply renamed it PNG...Presto! the image will now load in OziExplorer. Despit the fact that under Properties, the world file still shows up as JGW!

Weird...glad i discovered a work-around though.