Global Mapper v25.0

automatic styling of nationalmap.gov data

redbeard
redbeard Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited April 2011 in Suggestion Box
Hi -
One thing I do like is the automatic styling of USGS data - such as the DLG files.

Now with DLG being the previous gen product, and the nationalmap allows for downloading of the data that they use on the USTOPO.

So the feature request is for GlobalMapper to be able to automatically style the data found for download at the nationalmap.gov site to look like as it does on the USTOPO.

site for downloading data is here http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/viewer/
Vector data can be downloaded in shapefiles or geodatabase formats.

More info on the different features is found at the nationalmap.gov site, and the link products and services - and pick a theme such as transportation.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2011
    If you go to the Styles tabs of the Configuration dialog you can change the styling for the different types of features to get the styling that you need (at least where the same styles are available in Global Mapper). You can also setup attribute-based styling for individual layers via the Options dialog for loaded vector layers on the Styles tabs for those layers.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • redbeard
    redbeard Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2011
    I know - That's what I currently do. The autostyle thing is nice treat when I load random datasets like vmap or other vpf, dlg data. I was just thinking the same might be able to be done (for future version of GM) for National Map data - as it should follow some sort of standard schema.

It's not high on my wishlist. It just seems like that this workflow might be what a "common" user would run into - get data from someplace (national map) and view it to help that user make decisions. He then can add elevation data to get contours and imagery via wms, and then exports his own USTOPO style map for use.

I wonder if the national map offers wfs support - which would make me want to vote up wfs on the poll.

But I'd say I agree with the suggestion poll more or less (my priority votes are more towards database (Spatialite/Sqlite, file geodatabse, Postgis/Postgres) and multiple cores).

But either way, keep up with the awesome bug fixes and enhancements.

-Mike
    -Mike