Global Mapper Pro

New User Questions

clicktrack
clicktrack Global Mapper User
edited July 2011 in How I use Global Mapper
I am on the trial version and trying to see if this software will meet my needs. I am a commercial real estate broker and want to get aerials to show for clients. I know the NAIP maps at 1m will work for resolution but I have come questions about additional features that may make my life easier.

1. I can connect and stream the NAIP US map but it takes a little bit to update after each time I move to new location or zoom in. Is this streaming map always included with the software or is this an additional service I need to subscribe too?

2. Is there any place I can get street names overlaid the NAIP map. I would prefer just major roads such as interstates, Hwys, and county roads.

3. Is there any service that provides some sort of overlay for locations such as retailers. Like if I wanted all of the Wal-Marts marked on the map.

4. Can I add information to the map and save it such as marking the retailers. Ideally I would want to add different information and it would be ideal if I ever wanted to bring that map up for a client to not have to re-create everything.

5. What is the largest output size I can export to transfer to Photoshop or illustrator. I mainly use 11x17 but occasionally want to create more poster size images for the clients.

6. Is there a way to download NAIP data locally so the page loads quicker rather then having it streamed.

I realize some of these extras may require purchasing additional products so if any of them do to make my life easier please let me know.

Thanks

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2011
    The NAIP imagery server (hosted by the USGS) can be a bit slow at times. This source is free with a Global Mapper license. You might also try the World Imagery source in the new release (v12.02) as it should have NAIP for the US and might be faster.

You might try getting the Tiger/Line road data for your area from http://www2.census.gov/cgi-bin/shapefiles2009/national-files to get roads to overlay on the NAIP imagery. That data should load right into Global Mapper. As for online source the OpenStreetMaps layer will have nice roads, but it would obscure the underlying NAIP imagery.

I'm not aware of an easy-to-use source of POIs like Wal-Mart, at least not a free one. You can likely obtain some premium data with that type of info using the MapMart On Demand source in Global Mapper as they offer many sources of vector data.

If you use say the PDF export there are many larger paper sizes that you can export, including poster sizes, that should load into Illustrator.

You can use the File->Export Raster Data menu command to export any data, including the NAIP imagery, to a new file which you could then load later for offline usage. The export might take a while, but once you have the local file it will be very fast.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • clicktrack
    edited April 2011
    Couple of follow ups.

1. Is there a way to save locations on the map or potentially draw things such as outlines of shopping centers?

2. I went to get Tiger files and I did not see any related to roads. I selected the largest county for MN as you can see in the link from below.

Thanks
    http://www2.census.gov/cgi-bin/shapefiles2009/county-files?county=27053
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2011
    Yes, you can use the Digitizer Tool to draw new features. See http://globalmapper.com/helpv12/Help_DigitizerTool.html for details.

The 'All Lines' option will get you a Tiger/Line file with all of the line features for the county, including roads and streams. There isn't a separate option for just roads.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • clicktrack
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for the info. It looks like this is pretty much what I need and plan to buy. I did see a couple of things that I am not sure why it is happening.

i downloaded one county and went in to configuration --> Line styles and I was able to make many things not show up on the map such as railroads, streams, etc. I was not able to make some of them disappear even though I could alter then as far as size and color. The ones I could not get to not show were Interstate, Major Highways, Ramps, and Residential Roads. It would be nice if I could somehow get Ramps and Residential roads to not show. It seems residential roads only shows when you are somewhat zoomed in.

Also there were many other roads that were stilled labeled with their name and I did not want them to be. I know I can turn off all of the labeling but I ideally would want Major highways and Interstates shown and labeled.

I have attached an image where I went into each attribute and clicked off the show label. You will see many small roads still labeled.

Do you know if there is any workaround to get residential roads to not show and also if there is a way to get those parkways to not show.

Thanks
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2011
    To turn off certain types of features go to the Vector Display tab of the Configuration dialog and press the Line Filter button, then uncheck those types that you don't want to show. You can turn off labeling for certain types on the Line Styles tab of the Configuration dialog. Just select the type (like 'Residential Roads') then uncheck the option to show labels for lines of that type.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • clicktrack
    edited April 2011
    Ok thanks again. With the vector tab I was able to do what I wanted.

Last thing. I want to generally output in 36x24 inch and I am wondering if there is a way to have a box or grid displayed on the screen so I could always center what I want in that box and know that is what will be exported.
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2011
    There isn't currently a way to place a paper-sized box on the screen as the amount of data that would be covered by a particular paper size would depend on other settings, such as the sample spacing (i.e. resolution) of the export, which for PDF exports is controlled by the DPI that you enter.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • clicktrack
    edited April 2011
    I am still playing around with all of the different settings but am stuck once again.

I am looking to export 36 x 24 inch files at the current zoom level I am looking at that I can import into photoshop. Ideally I want then to be jpg at 220 DPI. Is there a way to do this. It seems I can only export the entire dataset, what is on my screen which is not ideal because my screen is a lot wider then taller, select a box from what is on my screen, or select specific lat long coordinates which could be the answer but a pain to figure out specific coordinates for each corner to make up 36 x 24.

Any help or am I pretty much SOL?
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2011
    You should be able to either do a PDF export or a File->Print and print to a file, then select the paper size that you want, the DPI settings, and the bounds (Export Bounds for PDF export or Print Bounds for printing) to specify what portion of the loaded data to include. The selecting box will automatically be grown in width or height to match the aspect of the selected paper size.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Searchengineoptimization
    Searchengineoptimization Global Mapper User
    edited July 2011
    hello friend nice informtion for me about the feature this very help for me. thanks