Global Mapper v25.0

Importing New Symbols for Point Features

Verdugo
Verdugo Global Mapper User
edited January 2008 in Technical Support
In sorting/plotting my survey data, I'm in need of more symbols for my unclassified point features.

Question 1: Does GM have any extra symbol sets I can import?

My google adventure for such a symbol set proved unsuccessful, so I created my own bitmap image in Windows Paint and Adobe Photoshop, but both exported my irregularly shaped symbol with a colored rectangle in the background. However, I was able to "Add Symbol" under "Custom Symbols" my insufficient symbol successfully. Since I can't create a sufficient symbol, there are many symbol sets in EPS format that I would like to use/import (i.e., USGS symbol sets) which brings me to...

Question 2: Is there a way to import EPS files into the "Custom Symbols" box? Will there be support for EPS files/Illustrator textures, etc, soon?

Thanks again,
Danielle

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2008
    Danielle,

What you need to do is create icon (*.ico) files. They have built-in transparency support so you won't get the full rectangle of your symbol if you have transparency set up. Normal BMP files don't have this support so you always get the entire bitmap.

I think that several users use IconEdit (http://www.iconedit2.com/) to generate their icon files before loading them into Global Mapper as custom symbols. You should be able to convert your BMP files with something like that.

There is not any planned support for EPS or Illustrator symbols.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com