Global Mapper v25.0

GB building WAsP roughness maps

josemijauregui
josemijauregui Global Mapper User
edited September 2011 in Technical Support
Dear developers,

We're considering purchasing GB in my company, and we'd like to know whether it's possible to build WAsP roughness maps from xyz point input information.

It should be a user-friendly semi-automatic procedure (similar to create contour height lines for xyz topography input information) and being able to export it to a WAsP compatible roughness map.

I've tried to see other answers, but didn't find exactly what we're looking for.
We can't really go through each of the polygons, assign double values manually...
If this is possible please let us know how?
If it's not possible please tell us if you're planning to include this option in further developments,

I think this is important for wind energy topics,
Thank you very much,
Best regards,
Jose Miguel Jauregui

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2011
    Jose,

There is not currently a way to automatically generate roughness data from terrain, but this is on our todo list for inclusion in a future release.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • josemijauregui
    edited May 2011
    Thanks Mike,

I hope there's an early release with this option implemented.
    This would be very useful for wind energy and the vaste community associated.

Please keep me posted with news regarding this issue,
    Regards
    Jose
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2011
    Jose,

It's on our high-priority todo list, so assuming it doesn't turn out to be too hard to do it will be in the v13 release.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • josemijauregui
    edited September 2011
    Dear Mike,

AS we talked some time ago, I've just seen that the new release of GB 13 just came out. Have you managed to include the capability of building WAsP compatible roughness maps from xyz roughness data?

Thank you very much
    Best regards
    Jose Miguel Jauregui
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2011
    Jose,

If you already have XYZ roughness data (and not just terrain) then you can export that to WindSim GWS files after gridding it using the File->Export Elevation Data menu command. We have not yet added the ability to generate new roughness data from just terrain, but are hoping to do that soon.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • josemijauregui
    edited September 2011
    Thanks Mike,

WindSim is a quite expensive software and most people working in the wind energy market don't use it.
    What we would need in the capability to build WAsP roughness maps from xyr data (x coordinate, y coordinate, roughness value); this data is totally independent from elevation data.
    So the tool would build the roughness contour lines from this xyr data

Please let me know if you see this coming and your views,
    Thank ou very much
    Regards
    Jose
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2011
    Jose,

If you have XY-roughness data, just load it using the File->Open Generic ASCII Data File menu command and grid the data (it will be treated as elevation, then use File->Generate Contours to create roughness contours from the data.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • josemijauregui
    edited September 2011
    Mike,
    It won't work thay way you're saying because roughness contour lines have two values, one outside the contour and another one inside the contour; this is why roughness contours can't be treated as elevation contours and a special tool is required, please let me know of you're planning to include it in a future version,

Thanks
    REgards
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2011
    We are planning on adding direct support for generating roughness grids from terrain in the near future. You are correct because of how roughness works they aren't really roughness contours, just roughness boundary lines.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2011
    If you have a roughness grid you can use the equal-value area creation option from the Control Center to create roughness areas, it is just roughness boundary lines that are tougher to generate.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com