Buffers (areas) with inherited attributes

JakeJake Global Mapper UserPosts: 276Trusted User
edited April 2011 in Suggestion Box
Just a suggestion to have the buffer's vertices inherit the attributes of the point that was used to generate the new points of the areas. Specifically its name. Or if that is not possible a list of names cross referenced to the IDX. Basically a list of contributing points.

Thanks for the great program.

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2011
    When you create buffer areas around points the generated buffer areas should get the label and attributes of the point feature the buffer was created around. Are you not seeing that?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • JakeJake Global Mapper User Posts: 276Trusted User
    edited April 2011
    If I create a separate buffer for each point that is true. But I always combine overlapping buffers so that I end up with one buffer. During the "combining" many of the buffers are not needed. Only a few actually contribute to the final buffer however the attributes from all the points originally selected are merged into the single buffer.
    edited April 2011
    Here is an example. All points were selected and used in the buffer tool. The INFO property lists all points including E. But point E does not contribute to the combined area.
    edited April 2011
    The results are what I would expect, there isn't any checking done to see if a point feature is redundant for the combined buffer area. I would think most users would want the complete set of points that were involved in the combining, even if the results would have been the same without some of the points involved. It would be a pretty complex check to try and ascertain which points were actually important for the final combined result.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited April 2011
    Thanks. I agree it is complex. Right now I am doing it manually. The reason for this is that it allows me to identify the redundant points and remove them from further work. Since the vertices of the combined buffer come from the various individual buffers vertices I thought it might be a simple process of bring the name attribute along with the coordinates.
    edited April 2011
    Unfortunately there isn't any way to attach attributes to individual coordinates, they are only tied to features.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited April 2011
    I understand. Thanks.