Overlay grouping

883robert883robert Global Mapper UserPosts: 37Trusted User
edited April 2011 in Suggestion Box
Hi Mike
Maybe this feature exists already and my searching has failed to unearth it.
I prepare maps for WFP Liberia in response to the Cote d'Ivoire crisis. I have many gps-derived tracks and show them on various overlays, topos 50k and 250k, SPOT imagery and Landsat imagery.
I'd like to be able to switch on and off groups of tracks in one go. i.e.tracks representing roads passable by heavy trucks would be one group. roads passable only by light vehicle another.
And also the GM workspace is made of maybe a dozen 50k overrlays and four 250k overlays. It would be very convenient to switch from displaying the 50k to displaying the 250k by turning groups on and off.
Is this possible?
Many thanks, Mike. Great product for those like me who lack GIS training but nonetheless need to look like GIS experts.
Robert, Monrovia

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2011
    Robert,

Yes, you can easily group maps in Global Mapper (assuming you have v12). To do so, simply select a group of layers in the Control Center, then right-click and select the option to set the group name. All of the selected layers should then be grouped under that name.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • 883robert883robert Global Mapper User Posts: 37Trusted User
    edited April 2011
    Ah, that explains why couldn't find this feature. I'm using 11.02
    It's unlikely I'll be able to persuade the UN to upgrade my private copy of GM so I'll keep doing things the way I have been.
    Thanks Mike
    Robert,

Yes, you can easily group maps in Global Mapper (assuming you have v12). To do so, simply select a group of layers in the Control Center, then right-click and select the option to set the group name. All of the selected layers should then be grouped under that name.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com