3d path showing vector features profile (buildings with heights) over dem

papaverpapaver Global Mapper UserPosts: 25Trusted User
edited April 2011 in Suggestion Box
Hello Mike,

I’d like to create 3d path showing vector features profile (buildings with heights) over dem.

Can you imagine to add this feature to GM in the next future ?

Thanks

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2011
    You can do that already, just load the DEM and the 3D buildings, then select the 3D buildings with the Digitizer Tool, then right-click and select the advanced feature creation option to create/flatten terrain from the selected areas. Then create a new terrain from the areas (set their elevations as relative to ground). You can then create a path profile over the terrain layers.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • papaverpapaver Global Mapper User Posts: 25Trusted User
    edited April 2011
    I haved allready used the method you describe, it helps but it’s not so good for buildings: because the terrain resolution is not infinite, and even if it is high, walls are not perfectly vertical.

Here’s an exemple I created with GM, where buildings are not really rectangles but trapezes. Dem resolution I created from buildings is 1 meter.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/22954907@N08/5581762412/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Increasing resolution when creating terrain from buildings could be a solution, but I use to work on large areas, which means very very large dem files if the resolution is too high, plus very long computing time to extract new dem from building areas + original terrain dem.

If vector areas (with height) could be directly used to create profiles, I would be able to work with my terrain dem, whose resolution is quite lighter (usually 25 meters). So I could obtain a better result with less work :) (no dem creation from buildings areas, no corrections of the profiles created by GM in Photoshop…).
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2011
    Currently only terrain layers can be used for profiles, so your only option now is to create higher resolution terrains from the buildings. Note that I couldn't see your screenshot as it was marked as private on Flickr.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com