More Professional Export Options

DankoDanko Global Mapper UserPosts: 34Trusted User
edited March 2011 in Suggestion Box
The maps that I export from GM (there are many...) look decent with a scale and labels, etc. However, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to put a nice surround on a given map section. Yes, I can establish a boundary with map layout, and I can put in a legend. However, the legend options don't usually work for me and can't be customized. I would just like to have maybe an export form where I draw a box around the map I want to export, choose a final page size (8.5x11, 11x17, etc.) and fill in relevant boxes for project name, details, legend labels, etc.

The legend can even be left out if need be - I can keep doing it in illustrator.

For a final product I'd like to be able to put out something like the file I included here.

In my opinion the current export options result in 'clunky' maps which I have to basically force to fit onto given page sizes. Even during export, I cannot choose a specific size to export a section to - every export is a guess in drawing the box correctly.

I feel that having a better set of export options would allow for the creation of much more professional-looking maps.

Thanks

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited March 2011
    Admittedly the map formatting in Global Mapper could be better, although so far that hasn't really been the main focus of Global Mapper as there isn't any way to compete with other tools like Illustrator that are focused on that.

You can export to a fixed page size using the File->Export PDF menu command or using the File->Print menu command and printing to a file rather than to the printer. Those are really the only exports oriented towards creating something of a fixed paper size.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com