Global Mapper Pro Coming Soon

DWG Files open without showing all information

DankoDanko Global Mapper UserPosts: 34Trusted User
edited March 2011 in Technical Support
I have been sent and successfully opened several DWG files recently. When I open them, I see shape outlines (for mineral claims), a scale and nothing else. However, only by fluke, I discovered that a particular DWG file had a map and a legend within the file. Using different DWG programs (like irfanview or DWGsee) I can clearly see the extra data, but when opening the files in GM12 the data is invisible. Why is this and how can I fix it? I have missed out on some very valuable data because of this issue, and the worst part is I had no indication that anything was missing.

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited March 2011
    Is the data not coming into Global Mapper at all or is it perhaps coming in with a color the same as your background color so you can't see it? If you change your background color using the View->Background Color menu can you then see the data?

If not, can you provide a sample file for me to check out.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • DankoDanko Global Mapper User Posts: 34Trusted User
    edited March 2011
    I tried a few different colours but it didn't make a difference. Unfortunately the file contains propietary and confidential data so I can't send it off to you. Is there anything else I could try? Is there a way to just load the file regardless of projection? I know this can be done with images where there is an option to 'fake' the coordinates.
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited March 2011
    To load the data without knowing the projection just pick the default projection. Your data likely won't be placed at the correct location on the earth, but it will show up if that is the only thing that you have loaded.

It's really hard to say what the issue might be without a sample file. It's possible the data uses some kind of DWG entity that isn't supported by Global Mapper or something.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com