Referencing external DBF lookup files by joining arrtibutes

Mike SharpMike Sharp Global Mapper UserPosts: 3
edited March 2011 in Vector Data
Hi,

I have a shapefile + DBF pair that has an attribute column called "AreaId"

I have a second DBF file called "Areas.DBF" with columns "AreaId" and "AreaName". No shapefile is associated with this second DBF. It is simply a lookup table.

How can I merge the AreaName into the shapefile + dbf pair so it appears as an additional attribute on the main shapefile / dbf set?

Thanks

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited March 2011
    There is not currently any support for merging attribute tables based on a common attribute name, but we do hope to add something like that in a future release.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Mike SharpMike Sharp Global Mapper User Posts: 3
    edited March 2011
    There is not currently any support for merging attribute tables based on a common attribute name, but we do hope to add something like that in a future release.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Thanks.

The reason I ask is one of the biggest data providers (Navteq) ships data this way.
  • Mike SharpMike Sharp Global Mapper User Posts: 3
    edited March 2011
    What would it take to move this to the top of the request list? If we can't do it, we are looking at buying something else that can as we need to continue using our data source.
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited March 2011
    This is one of the features we are planning to add for our next major release this summer, but it will likely be at least a month before we can get to it.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • tjhbtjhb Global Mapper User Posts: 454Trusted User
    edited March 2011
    In the meantime Manifold System 8 would be one perfect choice. (Interests to declare: none except that I'm a strong enthusiast for both Manifold and Global Mapper.)