Problems with coloring the legend of elevation maps

adg_msi_houadg_msi_hou Global Mapper UserPosts: 4
edited December 2014 in Bug Report
I created a series of elevation maps using the 'Create Elevation grid from 3D vector data'. I then went to elevation options for the layers I created and started changing the Shader to the most useful option, in this case Color Ramp Shader. Somewhere along the way, the legend glitched and only shows a red color. The annotated values on the scale are correct. Atlas Shader shows the same thing. Scales for the HSV shader and gradient shader repeat numerous times within the annotated range of values. Maps look fine and are correct, the annotated scale values are correct, just the scale itself is one solid color. I have exited the program and restarted it, no change. I have not rebuilt the project nor have I removed and recreated the elevation surfaces. I do know I get the same problem if I create another elevation map within the same project.
Thanks for the help.

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited March 2011
    When you have multiple loaded elevation layers using a custom elevation shader rather than a shared elevation shader it becomes a bit complex which layer will be used for the elevation legend. Which version of Global Mapper are you using?

Do you need to use independent elevation shaders for each layer? Typically you will want to keep each layer using the shared elevation shader and just set the shader to use for them all using the shader selection on the toolbar.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • adg_msi_houadg_msi_hou Global Mapper User Posts: 4
    edited March 2011
    I'm using v12.01. It looks as if the shared elevation shader is working correctly but is taking its range from the minimum value in any of the layers to the maximum value in any of the layers, regardless of which layer is being displayed. I can see why it would behave that way. Can I get it to set the min max on a layer by layer basis or do I have to do what I was doing originally and select the color ramp shader under the 'elevation option' for each individual layer?
    Although I am treating the layers as elevations, they are actually a series of depth surfaces which range from a surface layer at around 2500-2700' above MSL, to a layer at 100-200' above MSL.
    edited March 2011
    The range of the shared elevation shader should only consider those layers that are enabled on the Control Center and that are at least partially onscreen, is that not how it is working for you? For example if you uncheck a layer in the Control Center does the elevation range not update to only include the range of the on-screen layers? Note that the coloring should reflect the range of all loaded and enabled layers, whereas the actual range displayed on the elevation shader should just be the range of the on-screen layers.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited March 2011
    Mike, that's exactly how it's working but it's not what I am trying to do. I want each layer to be colored by the range of that layer also, not all layers. It is no problem for me if only one layer at a time is checked in control panel.
    edited March 2011
    If you want each layer to only be colored by the range of that layer then you will want to setup each layer to use its own custom shader rather than using the shared one. To make sure that you get the elevation legend that you want, just check that one layer in the Control Center.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited March 2011
    That's the way I had the layers set up when the problem first appeared. I have gone back to that set up and the problem is still there. The legend bar is a solid red for every layer checked in the Control Center, the annotated scales are correct. I am displaying and setting up each layer individually, in other words only one layer is checked when the custom shader is selected.
    edited March 2011
    Is it possible for you to provide your workspace and at least a few of the data files needed to reproduce this so that I can see exactly what is happening? You can email them to support@globalmapper.com.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • EllenEllen Global Mapper User Posts: 2
    edited December 2014
    I'm having the same problem. The elevation legend bar is red for the whole data layer, even though elevations vary by about 60 meters.
  • bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 1,751
    edited December 2014
    Hello Ellen,

What version of Global Mapper are you using?
    How many data layers have you loaded?
    What is your workflow?
    Can you attach a zip archive containing your workspace and data files?

Cheers,

Bob
  • EllenEllen Global Mapper User Posts: 2
    edited December 2014
    Hi Bob,

I'm using version 16.0.0. I have been able to reproduce it and the problem occurs when I Combine/Compare Terrain Layers. I think I may have fixed it using Colour Elevations Based on Visible Data. I thought I'd tried that but it works now at least.

Thanks,
    Ellen
  • bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 1,751
    edited December 2014
    Hi Ellen,

We have made several bug fixes and enhancements since the release of version 16.0.0 (we are up to 16.0.5). You can get the latest version at the link below:

Global Mapper download link: Global Mapper Downloads

Cheers,

Bob
  • pierofavinopierofavino Posts: 4
    Hello,
    there is a way to change the slope legend from "degree" to "percentage"? and to change black and white slope image in colored image? (I work on GM14 or 11)