Global Mapper Pro

Multiple Profile Export

mark
mark Global Mapper User
edited December 2011 in Elevation Data
Hello,

I have opened XYZ ascii files (Easting, Northing, Elevation) within Global Mapper, and visually see a shaded relief image of the data. I have also opened a line shape file which contain many lines that designate where I would like to extract profiles from the XYZ data. Seeing that there are thousands of profile lines in the shape file, I would like to avoid using the manual "3D Path Profile Tool" because it appears that I would need to manually drawn thousands of profile lines. I would like to be able to obtain the profiles in an automated like fashion. I have tried using the following with the "Generate 3D Features Using Loaded Elevation Data" checked.

Export Vector Data > Export Shape File
And
Export Vector Data > Export Simple ASCII

However, when I do this I get zeros in the elevation field. I also do not get a field with "Distance along line" (Profile).

Does anyone have any suggestions how to extract profiles from the loaded XYZ files using the lines of of the shape file?

Thank you for your time.

Mark

Comments

• mark
    mark Global Mapper User
    edited March 2011
    I am using Version 11.02
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited March 2011
    Mark,

Currently you can select a single line feature with the Digitizer Tool, then right-click and select the option to show a path profile for the line. You can only do this for a single line at a time though, there isn't currently a way in Global Mapper to automate finding a path profile for a line and then exporting it.

I think for this operation you might need to go to the SDK as it supports generating path profiles and since you are in your own program at that point you can write out whatever you want. See the Developers page at http://www.globalmapper.com for more information on the SDK.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • mark
    mark Global Mapper User
    edited March 2011
    Thank you for the information Mike.

Mark
  • DustyRobinson
    DustyRobinson Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited December 2011
    I have a similar situation where I would like to get Distance/Elevation data along several lines. Is there a way to do this in version 12 or 13?
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2011
    You can easily add the elevations all along the line, but there isn't an easy way to get distance/elevation pairs along multiple lines at a time in the base application. You would have to use the Global Mapper SDK to do something like this.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com