Shp (Shapefile) to KML (Google Earth)

MrKyleMrKyle Global Mapper UserPosts: 10
edited May 2011 in Vector Data
Hello.

I have 9 shapefiles (large datasets for different counties) that I want to convert to KML. Each shapefile has a sorted KML_FOLDER field, so when I convert 1 of the files to KML the data is aggregated to each folder. This is very groovy.

This works great when I export each shapefile from it's own GM workspace. However, I would like to load all 9 shapefiles into one GM workspace, export to KML, and have each shapefile be it's own subfolder in the KML, with the KML_FOLDER categories as subfolders of each of those.

Is this possible? I didn't see a setting to achieve this but may have overlooked it.

Thanks!

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited February 2011
    There isn't currently a way to nest folders in KML files exported from Global Mapper. You could of course use File->Batch Convert/Reproject to generate a separate KML from each Shapefile, then load those into Google Earth. You could even maybe add all of those KML files into a .zip file, then rename that to .kmz (a .kmz file is just a .zip file), then load that into Google Earth to get them all in at once.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Jhon BallesterosJhon Ballesteros Global Mapper User Posts: 4
    edited May 2011
    Hello.

I have one shp file ready to export to google earth. after i export the file i didn't get the good projection to google earth. how do i get the right projection of my export shp file?
    edited May 2011
    Hello.

I have one shp file ready to export to google earth. But I didn't get the right projection. How do I get the right projection? I was able to use any projection type but I failed to get the right projection.

Hoping to give me some assistance.

Thank you very much
    edited May 2011
    Hello.

I have one shp file ready to export to google earth. But I didn't get the right projection. How do I get the right projection? I was able to use any projection type but I failed to get the right projection.

Hoping to give me some assistance.

Thank you very much
    edited May 2011
    Sorry for the multiple reply seems my internet connections slows
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited May 2011
    You need to select the correct projection for your data when you load it so that it is properly positioned, then the export to a Google Earth format (like KML/KMZ) automatically converts it to the projection expected by Google Earth. What projection is your original data in? It is critical to select the appropriate projection when asked, otherwise the data will not be properly positioned. If you do not know the proper projection you may have to ask your data provider.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com