Global Mapper Pro

Create buffers

solarwind
solarwind Global Mapper User
edited September 2013 in GM Script Language
Hello Mike,

Do you have any plan to include the Create buffers option in the scripting language ?

Thanks

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited February 2011
    We don't have any short-term plans to add buffer creation to the scripting language. For advanced users you can create buffer areas using the SDK. See the Developers page at http://www.globalmapper.com for information about the SDK.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Kuldip Upasani
    Kuldip Upasani Global Mapper User
    edited August 2011
    Dear Sir,
    I have trouble to create buffer, when I use to create it it gives following error...
    error_message.JPG
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2011
    Can you first try downloading and installing the v12.02 release and see if that fixes the issue? You can get it from the links below:

32-bit: http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_setup.exe
    64-bit: http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_setup_64bit.exe

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Kuldip Upasani
    Kuldip Upasani Global Mapper User
    edited August 2011
    Dear Sir,
    I actually using Global Mapper with v12.01 registered copy, and it takes long time for creating buffer, later sometimes it gives same error which is shown above in my last message, please help me regarding to this topic.

Regards,
    Kuldip Upasani
    MaharashtraIndia.
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2011
    Kuldip,

You can download and install the v12.02 update for free since you are a registered v12.01 user. That is what I would first suggest trying.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • JJK
    JJK Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2013
    Mike,

Just wondering if your policy has changed since Feb 2011 re: including buffering in the scripting language. It would be a nice addition. Currently I have to jump out of my GM script and call a non-GM buffer tool to build circular polygon buffers around field points, and then back into GM to export the polygon-cropped lidar data points. SDK isn't a viable option for me at this point.

Thanks.

John
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2013
    John,

I've just added this to the todo for v15 so hopefully by the time the final v15 release is out the EDIT_VECTOR script command will be updated to allow creating buffer areas for matching features.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • JJK
    edited September 2013
    Mike,

Thanks a bunch - that's great!

>>John
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2013
    John,

We have completed adding support for buffering via the EDIT_VECTOR command. It will be in the next v15 beta and subsequent releases. Here are the new supported parameters:

Buffer Creation - The following parameters control creation of buffer areas around matching features:

BUFFER_DIST - explicit buffer radius parameter, in meters. e.g. BUFFER_DIST="5.0"
    BUFFER_ATTR - name of attribute that determines buffer radius for a feature. One of "BUFFER_ATTR" or "BUFFER_DIST" must be used. e.g. BUFFER_ATTR="BUFFERSIZE"
    BUFFER_ATTR_UNITS - String representing units to use to interpret value obtained by "BUFFER_ATTR". Accepts "M" (meters), "METERS", "FT", "FEET", "KM", MI" (meters), "MILES", "NM" (nautical miles). Defaults to meters. e.g. BUFFER_ATTR_UNITS="FT"
    BUFFER_COMBINE_AREAS - boolean, whether to combine created bufers (default = false). e.g. BUFFER_COMBINE_AREAS=YES
    BUFFER_CREATE_RECTS - boolean, whether to create rectangle buffers (default = false). e.g. BUFFER_CREATE_RECTS="YES"
    BUFFER_Z_OFFSET - Z-offset applied to z-value of 3D features (default = 0), in meters. e.g. BUFFER_Z_OFFSET="100"
    BUFFER_ZONES - number of buffer zones to create per feature (default = 1). e.g. BUFFER_ZONES=2

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • JJK
    edited September 2013
    Mike,

Thanks again. As always, your software support is the best around!

>>John