Does GM support showing ascii file without new instance?

montasermontaser Global Mapper UserPosts: 41Trusted User
edited January 2011 in Technical Support
Dear Mike
This may relate to the prior question about showing imported ascii file info into the GM active screen.
After importing the ascii file which contains the points data and showing their relevant feature icons it keeps
opening a new instance of globalmapper unless if I load the script into script menu then executing , it will show the imported info on the opened raster, what I want actually is to keep the present open GM screen and show the data
imported from ascii by running the batch script without loading!!

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2011
    Try naming your file as .gmw (workspace) rather than .gms. You should then be able to just drag the .gmw file onto a running instance of Global Mapper and have it loaded there with any other data.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • montasermontaser Global Mapper User Posts: 41Trusted User
    edited January 2011
    Still the same issue...though I have changed the extension to .gmw and still opening a new instance of GM.
    thanx in advance for any help
  • montasermontaser Global Mapper User Posts: 41Trusted User
    edited January 2011
    Mike actually I'm trying to open this .gmw and import them automatically by using VB.
    My form will automate every 3 minutes the (.gmw) that will handle to import points file to the
    GM screen instance rather than opening a new instance however not using manual drag-n-drop.

thanks Mike for ur help
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2011
    You would need to programmatically simulate dropping the file onto a running instance of GM to load the GMW in an already open instance from VB. However what you might want to look at instead is using the External Control API (http://globalmapper.com/developer/developer.htm#external_ctrl) which allows you to add and move features in a running instance of GM from an external program using WM_COPYDATA messages. This may be easier for what you are trying to do.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com