Global Mapper v25.0

view shed tool -export vector shp

Eric_T
Eric_T Global Mapper User
edited January 2008 in Technical Support
Hi
I use the view shed tool and for each simulation I have a specific name.
I have a lot of layer with different view shed tool simulations
I want to export them as a shapefile
It's OK but, I have a single shape with a lot of records (each area)
I use the option "Split into Separate Files by Feature Layer/Desciption" but all of my simulations are in the same shape
Can you help me
Thank you
Eric

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2008
    The export option to split up features by layer/description splits up features based on the feature type (what some would call layer) or description value, it does not split on the description of the overlay that the feature is in. To get separate files for each view shed shape collection you would need to hide all of the other layers in the control center prior to doing an export, then export your Shapefile, then repeat for the other view shed overlays.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Eric_T
    edited January 2008
    Thank you for your response
    It was my method but it's very long ... and I would like to have a quickly method
    Thanks
    Eric
  • STH
    STH Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited January 2008
    Isn`t it possible to write a file that does this? ("hide all of the other layers in the control center prior to doing an export, then export your Shapefile, then repeat for the other view shed overlays.")

Ie - is there a function that can be added to the GWS in a text editor to do the following:
    LOAD single.shp
    LAYERS: HideAll
    Layer1: SHOW
    EXPORT: Layer1.shp

LAYERS: HideAll
    Layer2: SHOW
    EXPORT: Layer2.shp

and so on for all the layers.

Just a question, as I haven`t looked much at the possibilities yet.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2008
    I don't think a script would work since the data is not in separate Shapefiles to start with, but separate view shed layers.

In any case, I have a better solution now. What you can do is use export the data to a DXF file and choose the Layer Name option to 'Use Feature Source Filenames for Layer Name'. This will create a DXF file where the description of the layer in the Control Center will be saved out as the DXF layer name for each feature (the layer description is used because the generated view sheds don't have a filename).

Once that DXF file is created, you can then load that back in and then export a Shapefile with the option to split on the layer/description selected.

I had to make a small change to the DXF exporter to make this work, so you'll need a new build. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper9.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v9.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Eric_T
    edited January 2008
    great .. fabulous ...
    It's running OK
    It's a great pleasure to use your software and to see a quick reactivity about our request.
    Thanks a lot mike
    bests regards
    Eric