Global Mapper Pro Coming Soon

Elevation Flattening

SCGrant327SCGrant327 Global Mapper UserPosts: 6
edited January 2011 in Elevation Data
I have read several other posts about 'flattening' terrain...and can produce somewhat acceptable results.

However, what I would like to do is to flatten an area, then 'feather' the flat area into the existing terrain.

Suppose there is an area where the lowest point is 100m and the highest point is 110m. I want to 'flatten' the are to the average...105m. Once I have the 'new' flattened area, I want to feather from the 105m to whatever is the real elevations are. I want to feather an area about 100m around the new flat terrain.

I am using GM12 and DTED2 data.

Thanks for any and all help!

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2011
    You can do that, just create the terrain flatten to 105meters, then select that layer in the Control Center, press Options, then go to the Feathering tab and select to feather it to the same area that you created the flattened terrain from and specify the feather distance. The new flattened layer should then be feathered into the underlying data.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • SCGrant327SCGrant327 Global Mapper User Posts: 6
    edited January 2011
    Mike,

That works pretty well, but I don't seem to get any difference in feathering no matter what pixel width I specify. 100 pixels appears to yeild the same result as 10000 pixels...

Could just be me..

--Sam
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2011
    Sam,

How large (in pixels) is your flattened area? If you start to flatten larger than your flattened area dimensions in samples/pixels you won't get much difference. Typically when feathering terrain layers you want a much smaller number of feather pixels than when doing things like imagery as the pixels tend to me much larger in terrain layers.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • SCGrant327SCGrant327 Global Mapper User Posts: 6
    edited January 2011
    Thanks Mike.

That makes total sense....

Thanks again!