Global Mapper v25.0

GM opens numbers in scientific notation?

gpsmpr
gpsmpr Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited April 2012 in Technical Support
I downloaded a shapefile from the internet and opened it in GM. One of the attributes is numbers like 100, 204, and other three digit numbers. They show up in GM in scientific notation though, which I don't want.

Is there a setting to change that to decimal format? I opened the .dbf file and the numbers showed up normally in the spreadsheet. I messed with the cell formatting and got them to show up as 204.0000000 in GM, but still I'd like to see no decimal places.

Is there a setting?

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2010
    There currently isn't a setting to control that, values from DBF files are used exactly as they are stored as text in the DBF file. If you are seeing scientific notation then the text in the DBF file for the value is in scientific notation. We do plan on adding support for re-formatting numeric attribute values in a future release though. For now you would need to change the formatting outside of Global Mapper in something like Excel prior to pulling them in to get them formatted how you want.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • GMuser001
    GMuser001 Global Mapper User
    edited April 2012
    Hi Mike,

Does this issue still exist? I have a shapefile that shows the values with 2 decimal values. I checked its DBF file and it has additional zeros but still appears as a normal decimal value. Global mapper 11 though displays the values with scientific notation and puts an exponent of 2 on all those values. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks
    Naven

There currently isn't a setting to control that, values from DBF files are used exactly as they are stored as text in the DBF file. If you are seeing scientific notation then the text in the DBF file for the value is in scientific notation. We do plan on adding support for re-formatting numeric attribute values in a future release though. For now you would need to change the formatting outside of Global Mapper in something like Excel prior to pulling them in to get them formatted how you want.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2012
    Naven,

What did you check the DBF file in? Global Mapper will show the values exactly as they are stored in the DBF (all values are stored in DBF files as text). You would need to look at the file in a binary editor to see the raw DBF values, something like Excel will format the numbers.

In v14 we plan on adding some numeric field formatting options, but for now what you can do in v13 is right-click on the layer in the Control Center and select the CALC ATTR option, then perform on operation on the same attribute of either multiplying by 1.0 or adding 0.0. Then Global Mapper should calculate a new numeric value and do some smart numeric formatting on it which should look much better than just show how it is stored in the DBF.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com