how to create different areas that have one or more common boundaries?

RobertRRobertR GlobalMapper Fan!Posts: 285Trusted User
edited November 2010 in Vector Data
The point would be to create them without drawing (again) the common boundary (boundaries). In the same time, if I create (let's say) 3 areas in this way, I would want each of them to have their separate name and area.

Best wishes,

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited November 2010
    There isn't currently a way to share boundaries within features. The best you could do is first draw the common boundaries as separate lines, then combine the common boundary line with the rest of the lines for the area boundary to create new areas. Then you will only have to draw those common boundaries once.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • RobertRRobertR GlobalMapper Fan! Posts: 285Trusted User
    edited November 2010
    Hello Mike,
    Well, thank you very much for the assistance. I guess there isn't much to do in this case. I hope you will implement this in the future. Our mapping team draws many areas that have common boundaries and I voted for Global Mapper when asked to pick a software so we acquired 2 licenses and I think we will acquire a few more.

My idea would be to add a feature that will allow the user to do this. Let's say you have drawn an area. You want to create one more that shares a common boundary with the first one. Here, an option (let's say "create area feature from line") that would merge the segments you draw with the common boundary in a final area feature would be very helpful. This way, you will hot have to draw that (those) common boundary (ies).

I guess the main problem would be to figure out a way so that the software would recognize that the new segment started in an area feature vertex and ended in a different area feature vertex represents an area although you drew lines. Like in the attached picture ( I did it in paint 'cause I do not have the software @ home, only @ work);

I am writing you all this because I strongly believe that this could help both me and other users.

Many thanks for the support,