UNDO in Global Mapper

KrisiusKrisius Global Mapper UserPosts: 3
edited July 2014 in Technical Support
Hi guys,

I was working the whole morning on digitizing something and I have not saved after the work was done and somehow I have pressed a wrong button and all the work was deleted. It was a matter of undoing the last operation but GM does not offer undo operation. I have tried with CTRL+Z (works if I digitize and I want to undo last vertex) but did not worked to un-delete the lines and areas i have deleted by mistake. I am very disappointed with loosing a hard morning work because of a simple operation of UNDO.

Comments

• PaulTocknellPaulTocknell Forum Administrator Posts: 307
    edited November 2010
    When you "delete" an item in Global Mapper you acutally don't delete, you simply hide it from view. You can go to Configuration / Vector Display and check "Render Deleted Items". Then by using the Digitizer Tool you can select the deleted features, right click and select "undelete".

(sorry I would have added dialog but the kids and wife are still very much asleep)
  • GMuser001GMuser001 Global Mapper User Posts: 10
    edited February 2012
    I am also wondering why Global Mapper does not use UNDO button. I am using v11.02 and I just inserted a vertex in a line and tried to split the line at that vertex. The line just disappeared. It's not even like I hit delete to Undelete as Global Flyer had suggested above. I was able to exit GMW without saving and repopened but it could have been bad if I had unsaved changes and if this happened I would have lost all the work too.

-Naven
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited February 2012
    Naven,

A general Undo is very difficult in Global Mapper given the huge amount of functionality and different types of operations/data that you can use. However in that case the original line (pre-split) should be there. Just turn on the display of deleted features on the Vector Display tab of the Configuration dialog, then you can select the original deleted line and restore it.

The line segments are disappearing due to a bug in that old version, newer versions won't have that problem.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • SeldomSeldom Global Mapper User Posts: 46Trusted User
    edited February 2012
    Mike didn't mention this, but Ctrl-Shift-D is a handy shortcut to toggle deleted features on and off. Much faster than using the dialog if you need to do it often.
  • GMuser001GMuser001 Global Mapper User Posts: 10
    edited February 2012
    Thanks guys for the tips. Mike, I agree with you about the bug in v11. I do have v12 but the reason I use v11 sometimes is because I found it to be faster than v12. I understand that v12 has more functions but when I have large LiDAR data and I want to switch between "edit tool" and info tool or 3D path profile tool, I found that v12 redraws loaded data but v11 doesn't.

Naven
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited February 2012
    Naven,

That is from the Digitizer Toolbar, you can make that always be displayed under the View->Toolbars menu, that way it won't redraw as the toolbar is shown and makes the view resize. In v13 it does this by default.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • dtartarodtartaro Geospatial Wannabe Posts: 14
    edited February 2012
    I'm so glad I read this thread. Ctrl+Alt+D will be very handy for me in the future!
  • hoverhover Global Mapper User Posts: 76Trusted User
    edited July 2014
    For me a generic UNDO operation (Ctrl-Z) is the one "most wanted feature" at all.

It's almost a defacto standard, nowadays.
    For certain time consuming / large data operations, one could go wothout undo, of course.
  • toasthalltoasthall Global Mapper User Posts: 3
    edited July 2014
    hover wrote: »
    For me a generic UNDO operation (Ctrl-Z) is the one "most wanted feature" at all.

It's almost a defacto standard, nowadays.
    For certain time consuming / large data operations, one could go wothout undo, of course.

I agree the amount of times I have pressed Ctrl-Z to un-do a change and then been puzzled as to why it didn't work..............!
  • Jasmine_BMGJasmine_BMG BMG Staff Posts: 174
    edited July 2014
    Thank you for your feedback and suggestions. The Blue Marble Development staff is aware of the interest in a more broadly implemented Undo function. As Mike mentioned, due to amount of functionality and the number of operations a global undo function would be very difficult to implement.

However, we will continue to look at expanding the Undo function to specific tools as appropriate.

Regards,

Jasmine