Global Mapper v25.0

Shp file not display right

arryshy
arryshy Global Mapper User
edited November 2010 in Vector Data
I 'm working with mapinfo tab data. I transfer file to shp so that i can use in mapedit. At the 1st time i transfer, it done with perfect but when i transfer later on it become not right. The line that when i open in mapedit become not straight. here the example:

this is the right one
mapedit_right4.jpg

when i transfer later on, it become like this
mapedit_wrong4.jpg
I forget the way 1st time i make it right. Where do i miss the step here.

For info i'm using GM12
thanks in advance

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited November 2010
    Is it just in Mapedit that the data doesn't appear straight? How does it appear in Global Mapper? It looks to me like in the 2nd image the coordinates are being snapped to some regular interval, so you lose a bit of precision.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • arryshy
    edited November 2010
    the 1st image is also display from mapedit that i manage to transfer from tab file to shp using GM12, It mean that GM12 manage to transfer it right and display right on mapedit. Just i forget how i had done it.

*One more thing how do i want to make area to be a polygon or line with data still inside the polygon.

Just to make u understand what i'm trying do do is. I get mapinfo tab area data to convert to shp format and open in mapedit so that i can make map for my garmin gps. The problem is i dont know how to convert from area to polygon or line with data still inside it
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2010
    You should just be able to load the MapInfo .tab file in Global Mapper then use the File->Export Vector Data menu command to save the data out to a Shapefile for use in Mapedit. That transformation should maintain the full resolution of the data.

You can convert loaded area/polygon features to lines by selecting the areas with the Digitizer Tool in Global Mapper, then right-clicking and selecting the option to create lines from the areas.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • arryshy
    edited November 2010
    Thanks you for ur info. I will try to do as u say.

And many thank to you Mike. I'm so happy with your quick respond. Thanks
  • arryshy
    edited November 2010
    1. I still lost of precision went i tansfer data from tab file to shape or to polish when i'm open in mapedit. Anyway is there a way where i can make custom garmin map with tab file. Cause in GM, it does have tab file transfer to cGPSMapper(Polish MP)file. Does it lost precesion went i'm sending it to my oregon.

2. What is the best Area Features that recognized by cgpsmapper to be send to create custom map on garmin for cadastral ? i'm trying to make cadastral map from tab file to make custom map for garmin can i do it using GM12 without losing precision like the second image that i'm attach

i'm really need ur help..
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2010
    I think Mapedit may be truncating coordinates to some digits of precision, resulting in the loss. I would suggest just working with the data directly in GM and exporting to a Polish MP file for direct use in cGPSMapper.

For area features you might try adding a MP_TYPE attribute of 0x4A to the features which corresponds to a bounding polygon. Another option would be to change your areas to line features and assign them a type like a State Boundary in Global Mapper.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com