Global Mapper v25.0

Changing Spot Sounding units in NOAA ENC's

Radon222
Radon222 Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited November 2010 in Vector Data
Hey GM,

I'm converting NOAA ENC charts to DWG's. As per the S57 standard, spot soundings are in meters, and I of course need them in Feet. Is there a way to do this directly, or will I need to export to Text file first and do conversion in a spreadsheet?

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited November 2010
    If you set your vertical export units to Statute on the Vertical Options tab of the Configuration dialog prior to export, then you should get feet for the elevation values in the exported DWG file.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Radon222
    Radon222 Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2010
    That's how I already had it set. I did notice that the default vertical units were being set to feet on opening the ENC. In layer control options I reset the vertical units to meters, and tried the export again. Still no dice. BTW this in GM 11.02 build Mar 2, 2010.
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2010
    Actually I took a look and discovered that the DWG export doesn't obey the elevation export units setting. Try instead exporting to a DXF file, then bring that back in and export to DWG. I'll update the DWG export to use the export elevation units as well for new builds.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Radon222
    edited November 2010
    Still have the same problem with the DXF export too.
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2010
    I took a look and found the problem was actually that the default elevation units weren't being properly set for the ENC on import. Once I fixed that the unit conversion on export works as expected. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v11 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Radon222
    edited November 2010
    Mike,

I've downloaded your newest build (32bit) and updated my GM installation. Still no luck.
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2010
    Guess I should have debugged further. The elevation was being converted correctly internally now, but the spot soundings were just being written out as TEXT entities to the DXF file with just the display label and not an elevation attribute. The display label doesn't get converted, so it will stay meters, but the associated elevation value should be if stored. I updated the DXF exporter to create elevation values even for TEXT points so now you will get a converted elevation value with your points. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v11 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Radon222
    edited November 2010
    Ok got it now. the Point layer is now comes in with a Z elevation in the appropriate units. I'll just have to remember to replace the text labels to avoid confusion later on.

Thanks!!!