Global Mapper v25.0

Automating the digitizer tool?

danbratton
danbratton Global Mapper User
edited October 2010 in Technical Support
Hello,

I have a 120 meter resolution domain that is 80 km by 80 km. I would like to separate this domain into 256 5 km by 5 km regions with the digitizer tool so that I can extract the data from all 256 areas at once into 256 separate files.

So my concern is do I need to manually make these boxes or is there a way to make them automatically?

Thanks,

Dan

Comments

• danbratton
    edited October 2010
    I've begun to write a script and I have the following commands to export the first area: (I removed most of the file path and replaced with "..." to save space)

GLOBAL_MAPPER_SCRIPT VERSION=1.00
    EXPORT_ELEVATION FILENAME="C:\...\test.asc" TYPE="ARCASCIIGRID" ELEV_UNITS="meters" SPATIAL_RES=120,120 GLOBAL_BOUNDS="363574,4395425,368574,4390425"

I get the error: ERROR: Elevation data must be loaded for EXPORT_ELEVATION command.

Does the data that is loaded in global mapper have to be in a specific file format?

Thanks,

Dan
  • danbratton
    edited October 2010
    An edit to the script above:
    GLOBAL_MAPPER_SCRIPT VERSION=1.00
    EXPORT_ELEVATION FILENAME="C:\...\test.asc" TYPE=ARCASCIIGRID ELEV_UNITS=METERS SPATIAL_RES=120,120 GLOBAL_BOUNDS=363574,4395425,368574,4390425
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited October 2010
    Dan,

You would need to first load some terrain data in the script or else run it in the context of the main map view that has some terrain data loaded in any format for the EXPORT_ELEVATION command to work.

If you are in Global Mapper itself, you could just load your data and use the File->Export Elevation Data menu command and export to the Arc ASCII Grid format. Use the Gridding tab to split the export into the desired size and number of pieces.

Also in v12 there is an option in the Digitizer Tool to create a regular grid of area features at a user-specified size, location, and orientation that you would use to create areas to crop to if you wanted to do it that way.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com