OpenStreetMap Resolution and Labels

atm1999atm1999 Global Mapper UserPosts: 5
edited November 2010 in Technical Support
In exporting a map to PDF, the resolution of OpenStreetMaps is poorer in the export than on the screen and all of the street labels disappear. How to I correct this when exporting? Thanks.

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited October 2010
    What DPI and paper size are you using for the PDF export? This would determine the resolution that the OpenStreetMaps data is accessed at for export to the PDF file. It just sounds like it is being accessed at a lower resolution from the server.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • atm1999atm1999 Global Mapper User Posts: 5
    edited October 2010
    The page size is Letter and I have tried different resolution settings - all with identical results. When exported, the resolution of the map data is obviously low, which affects the quality, line sizes, and lack of labels. I use a collar in a fixed screen location, which I use to crop the export with. I've explored all of the options menus, and can't seem to find a place to tinker with settings which would control the resolution of the referenced data, except for the DPI setting in the PDF export menu.

Thanks.
    edited October 2010
    What version of Global Mapper are you using? There was a problem in some earlier v12 builds that would cause data to be undersampled when reprojecting or resampling. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12.zip with this problem fixed for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v12.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v12 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited October 2010
    Sorry, V.11. Just to check, I downloaded a new program file from globalmapper.com/globalmapper11.zip, and there is no difference. Note that this is only on PDF export. When printing, it prints the data at a higher resolution, but that doesn't work well with the collars I have set up.
    edited October 2010
    I just did a 300 dpi test export OSM data to a PDF in v11 and v12 and both looked fine. I have attached what I got for the results. What are you seeing?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited November 2010
    That is similar to what I am seeing. I was working in an area of OS map data where labels were lacking. I'm probably just expecting too much from OSM. In your plot, the streets and labels have plotted at a low resolution. It would be nice to have this data printed at a higher resolution, and be able to adjust this as desired. Thanks for your help.