Geo Referencing?

ssutton9000ssutton9000 Global Mapper UserPosts: 9
edited March 2011 in Vector Data
I am trying to geo reference dxf files onto a NAD83 projection. How do I bring them in and how do i manipulate them and move them to the acreage they are associated with? I'm a newby so be gentle!

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited October 2010
    You can load the DXF files using the File->Open Data File menu command. If you know the projection that the data is in, select that when loading. If not, just select the default to get the data in, then right-click on the DXF layer in the Control Center and select the Reposition option, then provide control points to position the file as needed.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • ssutton9000ssutton9000 Global Mapper User Posts: 9
    edited October 2010
    I have created a polygon using the new area feature, and added attributes to the polygon. Now I would like to export that polygon as a shape file that will retain the attributes that have been created. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    edited October 2010
    Just use the File->Export Vector Data menu command and export a Shapefile format with areas. The attributes should come along automatically in the DBF file created with the Shapefile.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited October 2010
    I tried, but the "create new area feature" that allowed me to overlay and add attributes to the image i created is not saved as anything in the overlay control center. How do I save the area as a shape file so I can export it?
    edited October 2010
    Any newly created features should by default be added to the User Created and Modified Features layer in the Control Center, although you can choose to have the new features saved to a different layer if you want. What is selected for the layer on the dialog where you add the attributes when you complete drawing the area?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited October 2010
    my parcel and abstract shapefiles
    edited October 2010
    Is the feature showing up after you finish creating it? It should be added to that layer. If you do the Shapefile export does nothing come across?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited October 2010
    Yes the feature does show up. Which layer? It only lets me add the parcel or abstract shapefile. I would like to be able to just send the new feature to the client. Once I create the new feature, how can I save as new layer as a shape file?
    edited October 2010
    I would just send it to either a new separate layer or the User Created and MOdified layer, then you can simply turn the other layers off in the Control Center prior to exporting to get just that feature in a new Shapefile.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited October 2010
    Thats my problem, I cannot just send as a shapefile. I have to send as a DMW file which does not attach my attributes that I have created. I have turned off the layers in the control center prior to exporting, but I still cannot select send as shapefile because it is not saved as one yet.
    edited October 2010
    i mean DWG file
    edited October 2010
    Global Mapper doesn't support saving attribution to DWG files other than the display label. To save a Shapefile, just use the File->Export Vector Data menu command, select Shapefile as the type, then select area as the type of Shapefile to save (assuming your data is an area feature and not a line, in which case you select line). This should export any loaded and enabled vector data to a Shapefile.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited October 2010
    ok, I must be doing something wrong then. When I have the shape checked in the control center, and I have all other layers unchecked, I go to export vector data, select shapefile in the dropdown box that prompts me, then when it asks me to select area, points, or lines it brings up the explorer in my computer. However the shape is not saved as a shape file i guess so I cannot select the shape I am trying to send. So my question i guess is how do i save it as a shapefile when it is created as a new feature in the control center?
    edited October 2010
    It sounds like you are following the right steps, is your feature an area or a line? You have to select the correct type of Shapefile to export, so if your feature is an area you have to create an Area Shapefile, and if your feature is a line you have to create a Line Shapefile.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited October 2010
    How do you create a area shapefile?
    edited October 2010
    If you have area data loaded, just use the File->Export Vector Data menu command, select Shapefile as your format, then click the box to create an area shapefile and choose the location on disk to place the file.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • SteveBoulangerSteveBoulanger Global Mapper User Posts: 3
    edited November 2010
    You can also use data converter for converting files into dxf format.
  • RAPTOR766RAPTOR766 Global Mapper User Posts: 13
    edited February 2011
    Hello.I would like to ask something about KML Files.When we load Kml file into Google Earth,we realized that it doesn't fit into the correct position that it is supposed to be.So we think that a correction must be processed.
    We will be glad if you reply soon.Thanks...
    edited February 2011
    Are these KML files created by Global Mapper? Is the data correctly positioned in Global Mapper prior to exporting to KML? How far off is your data when viewed in Google Earth?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited March 2011
    Yes,we created Kml file with Global Mapper.And we are sending(Misafirhane.Dwg) this file to you so that you could see Projection information.
    UTM
    Zone No:36
    ED50
    Our data is approximately 8 meters far off when viewed in Google Earth.
    We look forward seeing your answer.Thanks...
    edited March 2011
    Also I have another topic which I couldn't understand.It is Georefencing.I have an image.İt's extension *tif.When I view it on the screen and on the "image rectifier" window I wasn't able to do it.So I want your help.Thanks for your effort...
    edited March 2011
    Hello Mike.I have done image Reoreferencing.I realized that I was doing the same mistakes again and again while entering coordinates.So we don't need to discuss it.Even so take you for your support...
    edited March 2011
    I took a look at your DWG file. The main issue is that the base ED50 datum transformation is very inaccurate in Turkey. I have added a new datum 'ED50 (TURKEY)' that uses a much more accurate transformation for Turkey and then your data lines up very well with other sources (like DigitalGlobe imagery). I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v12.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v12 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited March 2011
    Hello Mike.We have done what you said about the issue about ED50 Datum.You said that you had added a new datum ED50(Turkey).But we haven't accomplished.I mean we extracted these files to the installation folder.But finally nothing changed.The vector data is meters far off when viewed in Google Earth.Can you give us further details about this?
    So we will be glad if you reply us soon.Thanks...
    edited March 2011
    When you apply the patch to update your build you should see a new datum listed on the projection dialog named 'ED50 (TURKEY)'. Are you seeing that? You don't need to add the datum yourself it is a new built-in choice.

When you load your data and are prompted for the projection/datum, make sure to choose 'ED50 (TURKEY)' rather than the base ED50 datum choice.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited March 2011
    When you apply the patch to update your build you should see a new datum listed on the projection dialog named 'ED50 (TURKEY)'. Are you seeing that? You don't need to add the datum yourself it is a new built-in choice.

When you load your data and are prompted for the projection/datum, make sure to choose 'ED50 (TURKEY)' rather than the base ED50 datum choice.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited March 2011
    Hi Mike.We have done what you told us to do.And it is OK.Thanks for your assistance.Have a good day...
    edited March 2011
    Also I have tried creating a new datum by myself.But I couldn't have estimated the Parameters when the "Create New Datum" had been on the screen. I mean the Ellipsoid,Datum transformation Method,Shifts...and Scale Correction...
    Could you explain it more in details?
    Thanks for your support again...
    edited March 2011
    I have sent an email which is called "Create_New_Datum_Window".I am looking forward seeing your reply...