GMW File Type Not Registered(?) (v12.00)

paulp575paulp575 Global Mapper UserPosts: 59Trusted User
edited October 2010 in Bug Report
Just installed v12.00 and everything works.
I don't believe this is that big of a deal, but may be of interest to some users.

Quite often I go to the folder I created where all the GMW files are located to select the project I want to display (I have approximately 25 to 30 in one of my GM folders!).

I noticed the file "Type" is listed as "GMW File."
Seems rather odd that it's not shown as "Global Mapper Workspace".
I was able to manually create it, but shouldn't the program automatically do that?

Although without this correct file type designation, if you click on the "GMW File", it opens with GMW v12.00 and everything appears to function correctly.,

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited October 2010
    That is strange, after I install v12 and hover over a GMW file it shows 'Global Mapper Workspace File' as the file type. I wonder if anyone else is seeing what Paul is seeing on their machines with a v12 installation?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • paulp575paulp575 Global Mapper User Posts: 59Trusted User
    edited October 2010
    I wonder if it might have something to do with the fact the I uninstalled v11.xx to ensure a clean install of v12.00?
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited October 2010
    I took a look at the v12 installer and it looks like the description for the Global Mapper registered file extensions is not there anymore, so unless you had an earlier version installed that did include the descriptions, you wouldn't see them. I'll get that changed.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • paulp575paulp575 Global Mapper User Posts: 59Trusted User
    edited October 2010
    I took a look at the v12 installer and it looks like the description for the Global Mapper registered file extensions is not there anymore, so unless you had an earlier version installed that did include the descriptions, you wouldn't see them. I'll get that changed.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

For most folks who don't generally uninstall previous major versions, that's obviously not a problem.

However, I generally do an uninstall of an old version and a clean install of a new "major" version to ensure no problems.

Thanks for confirming it's not my system that didn't register the extension.
    I was a bit worried it was my OS - WinXP Pro.