Global Mapper v25.0

Relief Shading

miksmith
miksmith Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited April 2008 in Technical Support
Is it possible to do a "classic" hillshade, as ArcMap would do, that is purely greyscale?? WOuld that be hill shading without a shader selected?? Or hillshading with the gradient shader?? I tried the latter going from white to black but it doesnt look very good (and seems to have a purple tinge to it).

I think I missing the obvious though... !

thanks

mike

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2008
    Mike,

Yes, the gradient shader from white to black or black to white should be what you want. Make sure that you have water display turned off on the Vertical Options tab of the Configuration dialog if you are getting a bluish tint.

Another thing you might try is the Daylight Shader with a color set to some gray color with hill shading enabled.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • global_mapper
    edited January 2008
    One other thought, you could also always setup a custom shader with the gray levels that you want if the built-in options don't look right to you.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • miksmith
    miksmith Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2008
    Hi Mike

Ive just come back to this and for some reason can't get it working (I thought I had had success before). Anyway, Ive set hill shading on for the gradient shader (between black and black), with an altitude of 20deg and azimuth of 345deg. This doesn't compare too favourably to the ArcGIS hillshader. Its quite washed out. Any thoughts??

thanks

mike
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2008
    Mike,

You might also try moving the 'Hill Shading Shadow Darkness' slider on the Vertical Options tab of the Configuration dialog towards the light side to prevent things from being so dark in Global Mapper. You might also mess with the 'Ambient Lighting' slider to lighten things up a bit.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com