Characteristics of the data set could not be automatically determined (for GeoTIFF)

BrentBrent Global Mapper UserPosts: 2
edited February 2011 in Technical Support
I am getting this dialog everytime I try and open up a GeoTIFF I have created, and I am curious as to what data is missing that would cause this. I have simply read in and copied an existing GeoTIFF that does not cause this problem (Adding some additional fields).

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited September 2010
    You should get this for 1-band GeoTIFF files with 16-bits or more per color channel that don't have any specify vertical GeoTIFF tags. In this case you can't tell straight off if the data is high-bit-depth imagery or elevation data. If it is elevation data, you can add vertical GeoTIFF tags like VerticalUnitsGeoKey and Global Mapper will automatically recognize the file as terrain data and not prompt the user.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • BrentBrent Global Mapper User Posts: 2
    edited September 2010
    Shouldn't that be handled by the GeogLinearUnitsGeoKey (2052)?
    edited September 2010
    No that's for the units of the XY coordinates in the file. The elevation value units are independent of the ground XY units and use a different key. For example you could have a file with coordinates as lat/lon degrees and elevation values in meters.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • ErinErin Global Mapper User Posts: 12
    edited February 2011
    How would we specify the data type in a script? I am mosaicing several IMG files together and exporting as jp2. When I do this through dialog...FILE>OPEN DATA FILES, it prompts me to specify the data type (elevation or raster). How would I put this in a script environment?

THanks again!
    Erin
    edited February 2011
    Erin,

Add LOAD_FLAGS=3 to your IMPORT command to load as elevation and LOAD_FLAGS=1 to load as raster.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • ErinErin Global Mapper User Posts: 12
    edited February 2011
    Perfect, thanks!