Global Mapper Pro Coming Soon

Buffer-zones does not keep height

STHSTH Global Mapper UserPosts: 434Trusted User
edited September 2010 in Bug Report
When having an area with heights on all the vertices and "Create Buffers around selected area" the height of the vertices are not copied. Is it possible to copy also the height of the "closest point from the area"? So that the points within the same colors have the same height (see image attached).
20100922_grow_buffers.jpg

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited September 2010
    I can take a look at making that change, although I can imagine in some cases it won't be quite as simple as that. I will have to think on it a bit.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • STHSTH Global Mapper User Posts: 434Trusted User
    edited September 2010
    That would be very nice if you could look at. I will watch the thread and give feeback to you. FYI the file is the same as I sent on the other subject, so you can create a 0.1m buffer on those features for testing-purposes (http://www.globalmapperforum.com/forums/bug-report/5929-combine-selected-features.html#post17467)
    edited September 2010
    I have completed updating the buffer creation to add elevations to new 3D buffers for small buffers around 3D area and line objects. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v12.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v12 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited September 2010
    Great! Will test it on a real project and get back to you with the result
    edited September 2010
    It works almost perfectly!

The only error I can see is where the area have the same x,y coordinates but different heights in the same point. The attached image shows rooftops of houses from the side. The green circles are "standard easy rooftops" while the middle house is a non-standard roof. 3 areas are marked in red which are wrong. The area is correct with 2 different heights in the corners, but the buffers seem to only use either the top height or the bottom height in that point. It should be "smart" and create 2 points in that corner. one point with the high height and one point with the low height and as small distance between them as possible. I hope I explained the issue so you understand it.

houses_with_buffers.jpg
    Green lines = original area created with GlobalMapper
    White lines = Buffers created with GlobalMapper
    edited September 2010
    The XY points would need to be separated in some manner for there to be some hope of using duplicate vertices. The buffer vertices are not in any way associated with an original vertex so there is just a simple nearest check made to find the Z value to assign to the buffer XY coordinate. If there are duplicate XY values in the original there really isn't a clearest Z value to use so one is just picked.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com