Global Mapper v12.00 Beta 2 Now Available

global_mapperglobal_mapper AdministratorPosts: 17,238
edited October 2010 in Announcement and News
Global Mapper Software LLC is pleased to announce the availability of the second beta of Global Mapper v12.00 at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_setup.exe . Just download that file and run it to install v12.00. It will install alongside any existing Global Mapper version, so you don't have to worry about losing what you're currently working on.

Among the numerous significant changes since v11.02 in this second v12.00 beta are the following:
  • Added built-in access to the NAIP color high-resolution imagery for the entire United States via the File->Download Online Imagery/Data menu command.
  • Added built-in access to the ASTER GDEM terrain data at 1.5 arc second (~45m) resolution for the entire world via the File->Download Online Imagery/Data menu command.
  • Added built-in access to premium Parcel data for the entire US via the File->Download Online Imagery/Data menu command.
  • Added support for automatically delineating stream networks and watershed areas using loaded terrain/DEM data using the File->Generate Watershed menu command.
  • Added 'Point Styles' tab to Options dialog for vector layers with point features allowing users to setup the styling of points in a layer. Now users can use the default type-based styling, apply a single style to all point features in a layer, setup an attribute-based styling system that styles the points based on the value of an attribute value or the display label, or randomly assign colors to the dot or custom symbols for points in a layer.
  • Updated the Download Online Imagery/Data interface to group data sources to allow easily finding data sources of a particular type or covering a particular area.
  • Updated the Control Center to support assigning groups to selected layers via the right-click menu. Those groups can then be collapsed in the Control Center to allow easily selecting, closing, or hiding/showing that group.
  • Added new right-click option to the Digitizer Tool for creating a regular grid of areas anchored at some point and of user-specified size, rotation angle, and naming.
  • Added ability to export BIL/BIP/BSQ and JPEG2000 raster files with multiple bands of data at 8, 16, or 32-bit depth (similar to what was possible before for GeoTIFF exports).
  • Added option to use “halo” fonts for text display. Halo fonts display a thin border around text of a slightly different color, making the text visible on any background.
  • Updated the export interface to replace the long sub-menus with dialogs allowing format selection to prevent overflowing the export format lists off of the screen.
  • Updated the map legend display based on vector types to allow labeling each style in the legend by the feature type, name, or any attribute value, in addition to the feature description which is what was always used before.
  • Added new EDIT_VECTOR script command (replacing the ASSIGN_TYPES command) to allow adding/updating feature attributes values and display labels, reclassifying features, rotating/scaling/offsetting feature coordinates, or marking features as deleted by searching loaded features for matches against their attributes/label values and/or types.
All of the other numerous changes are listed in the What's New document that is displayed during installation.

Prior to the v12.00 release we also plan on continuing to improve the new watershed delineation feature and adding ARCS (British Marine Chart) import support.

Here is a temporary registration key so that you can try everything out in the beta for 14 days:

RegName: DEMO_09282010
RegCode: 1070750785

While we plan on officially releasing v12.00 in about 1 week, for those of you that just can't wait to purchase new licenses and upgrades to existing licenses, you can purchase those now from http://www.globalmapper.com/product/downloadv12.htm . Pricing for upgrades from v11 is $129 US per license and pricing for new licenses are $349 US for a single license with price breaks for multi-license purchases.

Let me know if you any problems or questions.

Thanks,

Mike
Global Mapper Software LLC
support@globalmapper.com
riskygsnti

Comments

• vieuxdelamontagnevieuxdelamontagne Global Mapper User Posts: 66Trusted User
    edited September 2010
    Thanks very much for this release. I've tried it out just a little, and want to offer a few comments. First, the watershed delineation feature is very impressive. I assume there will be some forthcoming text or tutorial to help explain how to use and control the function, but it is certainly one of the most valuable things I've seen in any map software. Second, the ability to create a grid of rectangular area features will be very helpful for printing large maps in individual sheets of controlled dimensions. Thanks very much for including this. Third, the ability to group layers is a real time saver for anyone working with large and complicated workspaces (which is usually what I'm doing).

I'm testing the 64-bit version. It downloaded and installed quickly and easily. However--and perhaps something's wrong with my computer?--performance seems to be much more sluggish than was the case with v. 11. Admittedly I'm testing with a hugely complex workspace, with scores of layers, hundreds of features, and gigabytes of raster and elevation data. Still, it is taking ~one minute to accomplish any task (editing/creating vector features, scrolling, zooming, etc.). Wonder if there's any reason why this should be the case.

Otherwise, thanks and praise for a fine job.
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited September 2010
    Thank you for your comments. There will certainly be documentation available for the watershed functionality once the official v12 release is ready in a week or so.

I am surprised that performance is any slower with v12 than v11, I would expect them to be basically the same, except for any areas where we improved performance. If you load the same data set into 64-bit v11 on the same machine is it noticeably faster?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited September 2010
    I loaded the same huge complex workspace into v. 11, and found that routine tasks (scrolling, zooming, creating points) were performed quite acceptably fast, on the order of ~one second of clock time. I can't say I did a scientific test, such as running identical scripts on the same display with the same layers on view, and obviously I ought to do something like that before making wild claims. Still, the speed difference was big-- v. 11 was certainly more than an order of magnitude faster than v. 12. In both cases I was running 64-bit GM. I'll try to find time to attempt timing some fair comparisons and, if I do, I'll report further. I'm also open to the possibility that the OS (Vista) may be behaving differently, perhaps with respect to paging or other memory management issues, but I don't know enough about computing to make a determination. As I said, the workspace I'm using might reasonably be expected to bring an ordinary computer to its knees, and I find it quite remarkable that I've been able to handle it effectively with GM v. 11. My main use was to make a 1:24000 physical map of the entire White Mountains range (NH), in two large sheets, and to transfer the (vector) trails data to a handheld GPS for field use--the trails filled the receiver's track memory of 10,000 vertices. I have to say that the printed map rather amazed hikers I met, who had obviously not been aware of the possibility of producing anything like it. As always, thanks for your quick response, and if I learn anything further that's useful, I'll post it on this thread.
    edited September 2010
    Yes certainly let me know if you can reproduce the slowdown in a controlled environment. I would certainly be interested in finding any source of slowdown in v12.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited September 2010
    Well, this morning Norton/Symantec has taken over my computer for a "full system scan", which always ruins my computer performance for twelve hours or more. (It seems there is no longer an option for controlling when this occurs.) And I'll be away from everything digital for the weekend, so it will be at least Monday before I can try to do a meaningful speed comparison. Sorry, and hope I haven't been raising concerns over what may possibly turn out to be just a non-replicable one-off problem with Vista.
    edited September 2010
    I got Symantec/Norton to help me with shutting down their "full system scan" so that I could try some simple comparisons between GM v. 11 and v.12. The first results are less dramatic than I claimed yesterday, but the performance difference is nonetheless significant. I closed most applications, then ran v. 11, loading my large workspace, did some simple tasks, and exited without saving. I repeated with v. 12. Times to load were similar, c. 2 minutes, and v. 12 might have been marginally faster.

For the rest, however, v. 12 was always slower, sometimes by a factor of about four:
    task v. 11 time (sec.) v.12 time
    create rectangle area 2.5 9.8
    create new point 2.5 8.6
    edit point (change name) 2.4 8.5
    hide an overlay 2.4 4.4
    show overlay 2.5 4.3
    scroll display a short distance 3.0 4.5
    All times are elapsed clock times, measuring the interval the "completion status bar" was showing. I measured them with a stop watch.

I'll be glad to try whatever else you might suggest that you think could help with a diagnosis. Am running Vista on a two-year-old laptop, 2.4 ghz, dual-core, 4 gB memory, hard drive nearly full. I suppose the most helpful obvious thing to do would be to give you an exported "GM package" with the data, but I don't think I have enough room on the hard drive to create one, and it would be a challenge to send it to you if I could produce it. Wonder if it would be useful to try some speed testing on a much simpler map project?
  • tjhbtjhb Global Mapper User Posts: 454Trusted User
    edited September 2010
    With only 4GB of RAM, and a hard drive that is "nearly full", I'd guess that GM 12 might be using memory more aggressively than GM 11 (which given adequate resources would speed things up, and would be a good thing), so that your constrained system is hitting more hard page faults in the new version than in the old, i.e. more swapping to and from the Windows pagefile. You could roughly test this by opening Task Manager to the Processes tab, and turning on the column "Page Faults" before launching each version. If the total at the end of processing is wildly different then it might be something along these lines.
    edited September 2010
    That is a possibility, do you perhaps have a lot of GeoTIFF files in your workspace or files that are rectified with a lot of control points? Either of those might take more memory in v12, so if you have a lot you might be using more and kicking over to page faults. If you could check the memory utilization between v11 and v12 that could help.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for some good suggestions that wouldn't have occurred to me. I'll follow up on them As Soon As Possible. As for geotiffs, the basic backgroundof the map is a mosaic of fifteen U. S. Forest Service 7½ minute quadrangles that I have always assumed are geotiffs. However, here's GM's metadata on one of them:
    FILENAME=C:\USGS Quadrangles NH\USFS Quadrangles\StairsMountain_44077115.tar\collar\44077115.tif
    DESCRIPTION=44077115.tif
    UPPER LEFT X=307726.034
    UPPER LEFT Y=4903915.686
    LOWER RIGHT X=322865.036
    LOWER RIGHT Y=4885221.225
    WEST LONGITUDE=71° 24.53191' W
    NORTH LATITUDE=44° 16.13248' N
    EAST LONGITUDE=71° 12.78256' W
    SOUTH LATITUDE=44° 5.81219' N
    PROJ_DESC=UTM Zone 19 / NAD27 / meters
    PROJ_DATUM=NAD27 (CONUS)
    PROJ_UNITS=meters
    EPSG_CODE=26719
    COVERED AREA=28302 hectares
    NUM COLUMNS=6000
    NUM ROWS=7500
    NUM_BANDS=1
    PIXEL WIDTH=2.523 meters
    PIXEL HEIGHT=2.493 meters
    BIT_DEPTH=8
    DPI=250
    PHOTOMETRIC=Palette-Color
    BIT_DEPTH=8
    ROWS_PER_STRIP=1
    COMPRESSION=PackBits
    DPI=250
    MODEL_TYPE=Undefined Model (Not a GeoTIFF File)
    RASTER_TYPE=Pixel is Point

Additionally, I am filling in part of the map with a large geotiff (101 MB) that GM created for me from about twenty letter-sized sheets that I scanned and laboriously georeferenced from a large printed map. But I am no longer using those twenty sheets, just the geotiff that GM exported from them. I would assume that the original georeferencing of the control points in the source layers is not maintained in the exported file? I don't remember, but I would guess that I never used more than four control points for any one of the twenty sheets; the job was tedious enough with four.

In any case, perhaps it's time to put everything on an external hard drive and clean up the "nearly full" internal storage. It's just that most of what's out there is a few thousand geotiffs, and, well, geotiffs on the hard drive are a kind of security blanket....
    edited September 2010
    I repeated essentially the same tests I reported earlier, recording "page faults" before and after the tests:

v. 11: 257830 - 182583 = 75247
    v. 12: 375646 - 297594 = 78052.

Doesn't seem like such a large difference, except the "before" numbers (after loading the WS).

Sorry to be obtuse, but I don't really know how to measure and record memory utilization for the tests.
    edited September 2010
    It does look like the page faults are about the same, although v12 appears to have had a lot more of them. What does the actual memory usage look like?

How large is your complete data set (not in a package file)? Is it possible for you to FTP it to me as is and I can try and replicate the performance issues? You can FTP the data to ftp.globalmapper.com with a username of 'upload' and a password of 'upload'.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited September 2010
    Well, I don't think I know how to do anything useful with the data. There are more than 150 layers, or overlays. Most consist of vector data, but the big raster and elevation files included in the workspace total at least 1.7 GB, maybe a bit more, as I'm just estimating. There are .tiff raster maps, Mr. SID orthophotoquads, and 1/3 arc-second DEMs in the mix. I'm glad to follow any suggestions, but I don't think I can realistically upload or ftp things that big. (Downloading them was challenging enough, and I got them piecemeal over a period of weeks.)

I'm sure you'd like to get to the bottom of this fairly quickly, just in case there's an explanation that might affect more than one cantankerous old customer, but I wonder if the best thing might be for me to put stuff on a DVD and have the US Postal Service get it to you?

I'm also wondering if just the .gmw file would be of any use to you? It's ~ 2 MB.

And again, I'll rerun the simple timing tests I've been doing, but how should I measure memory usage? Are some numbers from Task Manager useful to you? Something else?

Unfortunately, I do need to be away for the weekend (a place where the Internet is unavailable), so I probably will have just a half hour or so before I have to quit until Monday.

And it occurs to me that this thread is perhaps not the best place for this technical discussion, which I really started intending mostly just to praise the new goodies in v. 12. If you'd like to continue outside the forum, or elsewhere within the forum, let me know. I don't mind revealing my "commercial use" e-mail address, vieuxdelamontagne@laposte.net, and I'd be happy to provide name and phone number via e-mail.
    edited September 2010
    The 'Memory (Private Working Set)' would be the amount of memory to monitor.

If the data is too big to email and you want to mail it, you can send it to the following address:

Global Mapper Software LLC
    11835 N Tomahawk Rd
    Parker, CO 80138 USA

Then I can take a look and try and replicate your performance issues. Please include the GMW file on the DVD so that I can work with your exact workspace.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • EDGAREDGAR Global Mapper User Posts: 77Trusted User
    edited September 2010
    Hi to All,

Let me add few words re: "Nearly Full HDD and GM speed"

For a long time I've been saving big rasters in GeoTIF, JPG, GMP files, and quickly noticed that my 3x 320GM HDDs are nearly full.

Since I've tried ECW file - it become my favourite.

PLS see following comperison made just few minutes ago:

Four 10k topo rasters connected and saved as a single one in:
    JPG = 165 MB
    GeoTIF = 10k 300dpi, LZW = 237 MB
    GMP = 90 MB
    ECW - compression 10:1 = 88.5 MB
    ECW - compression 20:1 = 54.5 MB

The other interesting thing is the speed of loading into GM.

JPG - 16 sec
    GMP - 32 sec
    GeoTIF - 12 sec
    ECW - just 1 sec.

Concluding above I could say that storing raster data in ECW files saves HDD space about 2x / comparing with JPG
    about 3x / comparing with GeoTIF
    and is almast the same as GMP

but in any case the loading time is 10-20x shorter.

Perhaps above comparison would be interesting for someone who suffer from "Almost Full" HDD resources.

Best to all

Edgar
  • Frank2Frank2 Super Moderator Posts: 105
    edited September 2010
    One important thing to remember though is that both JPEG and ECW are lossy compression methods, which may not always be desired. But, I have to say, I first used ECW when I made a gigantic digital mosaic (something like 250000x250000 pixels) on my personal workstation years ago, and have loved playing with that image :)
    edited September 2010
    Hi Frank2 :-))

You are right.
    That is why I've been using only 10:1 compression and not greather, however from today tests clearly appear that comparing on great zoom ECW 10 and ECW 20 doesn't make significant difference, almost NO difference at all - but saving file size by 2-3 times. If one colleted hundreeds of GeoTIF files using ECW does make sense. Do You agree ? Regards Ed
  • Frank2Frank2 Super Moderator Posts: 105
    edited September 2010
    Yes EDGAR, I generally agree. But you can always buy another external HD too ;)
    edited September 2010
    Hi Frank

.... have six per 320-500GB already... without clear knowledge what kind of data are on each of them... topo new and historical, GIS, waypoitns, tracks, geotagged photos, tutorials, pdf-books... too much for one single life...:-))
  • ollagynotollagynot Global Mapper User Posts: 39Trusted User
    edited October 2010
    Mike,

I am really liking the improvments/additions in v12 and would like to try the new watershed tool in version 12. Would it be possible to get anthoner short trial registration key (sorry I missed the first one)?

Thank You,
    Tony
  • MartMart Global Mapper User Posts: 24
    edited October 2010
    It all depends on the basic material. If that was allready f.i. jpg, don't use compression above 1:6. You'll loose too much data if you convert it back! HDD's are not the costs anymore, so think about a compression of 1:2! You'll have the same speed, but hardly no losses! Regards Mart