Global Mapper Pro

NAIP & 3D view

chuck
chuck Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited September 2010 in Technical Support
Folks:

I have loaded into my workspace an aerial image (NAIP) and a shapefile consisting of sub-sea level contours. I would like to view the aerial image at zero ft. (0') elevation and show the triangulated surface with the shapefile contours (all are less than zero i.e., -3125' elev.) below the aerial image in 3D view. I do not wish to drape the aerial image over the triangulated surface, which was generated from the sub-sea contour shapefile.

Can anyone help me out?

GlobalMapper v10.02

Thanks in advance.

-Chuck

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2010
    Chuck,

There is not any way to display the imagery surface in the 3D view anywhere other than draped on the 3D surface.

In v11, you could create a surface at height of 0 and have your imagery draped on that, then have your sub-sea contour lines displayed in space in the 3D view below that surface of height 0, but in v10 3D vector display is not supported.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • chuck
    chuck Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2010
    Mike:

Thank you for your prompt reply. I do have v.11 64 bit on my desktop @ home and will follow your instructions for v. 11.

Your instructions do bring up other questions regarding 3D view. If I create and drape the aerial image over a zero (0) elevation surface, will I still be able to show a 3D triangulated surface generated from the contours below the draped aerial.

For example, I would like to show the aerial at zero (0) and not just show contours lines below.

Finally, if I can accomplish the visualization how many surfaces can GlobalMapper v.11 display in 3D view?

Thanks again.

-Chuck
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2010
    Chuck,

The 3D view only supports displaying a single terrain surface at a time. It will be a surface comprised of the topmost elevation at each location in the view.

What you could do is create a terrain surface from your contours and check the option to also create a TIN layer with the triangulation. You could then turn off your terrain layer from the contours and still have the surface of triangles, which are 3D vector areas, displayed and looking like a wireframe surface below the main surface at 0 with the imagery draped on it.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • chuck
    chuck Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2010
    Mike:

Do you all have plans to add this functionality? If so, will the ability to show multiple surfaces in 3D be a part of the v. 12 release? If not, when?

A 3D visualization module capable of showing multiple surfaces is a very powerful and unparalleled method for communicating to others such 3D spatial data.

For example:

My wish list is to show the DEM terrain surface draped with an aerial image, as well as show positions for multiple surfaces mapped below the surface terrain-level, display intersections between subsurface and the surface DEM, show well bore trajectories as sticks reaching from the draped DEM into various subsurface 3D polygons - and, if possible and if i am not asking too much, the capacity to measure true vertical and measured well bore trajectory distances/lengths and the ability to calculate volumes between surfaces.

Please consider adding such functionalities - the additions would be a tremendously-large feather in GlobalMapper's cap.

Thanks again.

-Chuck
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2010
    Chuck,

I agree, those would all be great enhancements to Global Mapper's 3D view. Things like that are on our todo list, but they won't make the initial v12.00 release as that is scheduled for release in a few weeks.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com