Distorted overview display for Global Mapper Grid export

dcoggindcoggin Global Mapper UserPosts: 259Trusted User
edited August 2010 in Technical Support
Hello Mike,

I'm getting a distorted display after I export a DEM from a multi-tiled ESRI binary grid (.adf). The original ESRI grid is a large (whole county) 2 m resolution DEM. I'm exporting this to a single 1 m resolution Global Mapper Grid. When I then open the .gmg file the appearance is "blocky" with obvious 2km square sections visible. Once I zoom in, the display is normal. I'll attach a .jpg of the overview and can ftp the files if needed. Thanks for your help.

David

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited August 2010
    What version of Global Mapper are you using to generate and display the GMG file? A GMG file has multiple zoom levels of data in it to facilitate fast display when zoomed out, but it looks like the upper zoom levels are messed up for some reason, although the bottom layer is fine.

If you can FTP the input files I can try and reproduce this. You can FTP them to ftp.globalmapper.com using a username of 'upload' and a password of 'upload'.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • dcoggindcoggin Global Mapper User Posts: 259Trusted User
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for the reply, Mike. I'm unable to get on the ftp site with ftp://ftp.globalmapper.com. Is the ftp site up or am I missing something?

I'm using v11.02 with a Jul 21st build date.

David
    edited August 2010
    David,

You need to use FTP software (like CuteFTP or WS-FTP), to login to the site and upload the data.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited August 2010
    It looks like the ESRI grid is about 5.5GB and the gmg file is about 1.5, so I'm not sure if the ftp will work. I'm trying it now, but if not, I could possibly put them on two DVDs if that would work. I've extracted other .gmg DEMs from this same ESRI grid. It's only when I used the 1m resolution that it was a problem. Everything else has worked fine.

David
    edited August 2010
    David,

You might hold off on mailing a DVD, I think I may have found the issue for overview layers in extremely large GMG exports and have a potential fix. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v11 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited August 2010
    Thanks, Mike. That fixed it.

David