Linking up FEMA WMS

bmossmanbmossman Global Mapper UserPosts: 2
edited August 2010 in Technical Support
I've tried creating a new WMS source in Global mapper using the links provided on the FEMA wbsite here https://hazards.fema.gov/femaportal/wps/portal/NFHLWMS but can not get anything to display. I've tried all 3 links they've provided. It generates the data layers and acts as if it's importing data, however there's none visible. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Frank2Frank2 Super Moderator Posts: 105
    edited August 2010
    Use the first address only, making sure you enter everything from both lines into a single line into the 'Server URL (Get Capabilities Address)' box. Then press the 'Get List of Available Data Layers' button. Choose a layer, and then download that data. You should either have your screen bounds already over your area of interest, or select an area of interest.

You could use 'Streets (from DFIRM)' as the source, and download within 1 mile of 200 East Colfax. Denver CO 80203 (Colo. State Capitol) to check that things are set up correctly.

There just may not be data in the layer you want, for the area you're looking at.
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited August 2010
    Thanks Frank, your instructions are correct. I just tried this myself with the server URL set at 'http://hazards.fema.gov/wmsconnector/wmsconnector/Servlet/NFHL' and downloaded Flood Hazards within 10 miles of Kansas City, MO and it worked fine. Most likely many sources online have data within certain areas and at only some zoom levels and are blank everywhere else.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • bmossmanbmossman Global Mapper User Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    Frank2 wrote: »
    Use the first address only, making sure you enter everything from both lines into a single line into the 'Server URL (Get Capabilities Address)' box. Then press the 'Get List of Available Data Layers' button. Choose a layer, and then download that data. You should either have your screen bounds already over your area of interest, or select an area of interest.

You could use 'Streets (from DFIRM)' as the source, and download within 1 mile of 200 East Colfax. Denver CO 80203 (Colo. State Capitol) to check that things are set up correctly.

There just may not be data in the layer you want, for the area you're looking at.

That's what it was. I was importing a layer that contained no information in my area. The flood areas were visible when I imported the Q3 Flood hazard layer. Thanks!