Grid not printing at proper scale?

aawilsonaawilson Global Mapper UserPosts: 31Trusted User
edited July 2010 in Raster Data
Hi, i'm trying to print a map with a 1 km grid to use in the field for compass navigation. My map is a mosaic of topo maps, set to display at a scale of 1:20,000. UTM, NAD 83, zone 20, units set to meters.

When i print this map, the grid is overlaid properly and the scale shows the grid is a 1000 meter grid, but when i put a ruler to the grid on paper after printing, each 1 km square "block"measures 3 cm by 3 cm.

On a 1:20,000 scale map, each cm should represent 200m, so the grid should be 5cm by 5 cm for a 1000 meter grid. I have double checked with 2 other mapping programs to be sure the coordinates i get for a given point are the same in all three (they are).

What am i missing? Something simple probably.

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited July 2010
    What projection do you have set on the Projection tab of the Configuration dialog prior to export and are you measuring across or up/down in your grid. Some projections, like Geographic or Mercator far from the equator, are very distorted in the X direction (across), but should be able to obey the scale in the Y (up/down) direction. It sounds like you are using UTM (which should be good), but I just want to make sure.

It sounds like you are printing to scale correct? What version of Global Mapper are you using? Do the cells measure 1km across in GM using the Measure Tool prior to export?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • aawilsonaawilson Global Mapper User Posts: 31Trusted User
    edited July 2010
    well, well, it was something simple. I went looking for and found the Print to Scale option, missed it but i know where it is now! Thanks for the help. All is good.