Global Mapper v25.0

Change default length of feature attribute fields?

gin
gin Global Mapper User
edited July 2010 in Technical Support
Hi~

We are having a problem where our labels (entered in the NAME feature attribute field) are getting cut off after export from GM (eg when viewed in the dbf or in ArcMap). Is there a way to make the default length of NAME longer to prevent this?

Thanks very much,
~Gin

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2010
    If you load the data back into Global Mapper is the NAME field truncated? I would expect the exported NAME field from Global Mapper to be long enough to hold the longest NAME value encountered, up to the maximum field length of 255 characters in a DBF file (this is a DBF limitation, nothing we can do about that if you have more than 255 characters in your names).

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • gin
    gin Global Mapper User
    edited July 2010
    Yes they are still truncated, but I should have mentioned one more detail (sorry)--this is happening to labels with parentheses in them. We have found a workaround by making a dummy feature with a super-long label. Is there something about parentheses that messes things up?

Thanks,
    ~Gin
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2010
    Gin,

Can you provide a sample file so that I can take a look? Also what version of Global Mapper are you using? I'm not aware of any special treatment of parentheses.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • gin
    gin Global Mapper User
    edited July 2010
    Hi,

We are using version 10.

Here is a shapefile for which it is happening in line 36 of the dbf (saved as .txt for uploading). The NAME field should contain

Waura-Meinaku (Uara, Wauja), Yawalapiti (Iuaualapiti)

but instead contains

Waura-Meinaku (Uara, Wauja), Yawalapiti (Iuaualap

Thanks,
    ~Gin
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2010
    Do you have the original source data that you converted from so that I can try the conversion myself using your original source data? Also, which v10 are you using? Can you try getting the latest v10 build to see if that helps? I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • gin
    gin Global Mapper User
    edited July 2010
    Hi Mike~

Thank you for posting that build; it is the one we have. We are creating polygons and points and entering the labels by hand. It is when we export the resulting shapefiles (one layer at a time) and their dbfs are created that the truncation happens. Here is an example of a GM workspace file to which it has happened, primarily to the labels with parentheses in them.

Thanks again, sorry for the confusion...
    ~Gin
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2010
    Gin,

Thanks for the workspace. I tried loading it and then exporting the points to a new Shapefile, and I couldn't find any truncation. Can you point at a particular label in the workspace that is being truncated? I have attached the point Shapefile that was created for me.

Also, can you verify the build date on the Help->About dialog of the v10 build that you are using?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com