Anyone know how to squeeze a diamond drill hole database into Global Mapper?

pgeezerpgeezer Global Mapper UserPosts: 9
edited July 2010 in Vector Data
I'm thinking maybe I can punt to some form of 3D shape file if GM would read that in three dimensions. How can I get there from a .CSV or database export?

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited July 2010
    If you have a 3D CSV file, just load it with the File->Open Generic ASCII Data File menu command, then you can export that to a Shapefile and check the option to include elevations to get a 3D Shapefile.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • pgeezerpgeezer Global Mapper User Posts: 9
    edited July 2010
    If you have a 3D CSV file, just load it with the File->Open Generic ASCII Data File menu command, then you can export that to a Shapefile and check the option to include elevations to get a 3D Shapefile.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Thanks Mike!

Does a 3D CSV file include start coordinates and describe a linear trace by FROM-TO intervals as follows?

COLLAR FIELD (start of drillhole trace) = HOLEID,EAST,NORTH,ELEVATION,AZIMUTH,DIP
    INTERVAL FIELD (description of intervals on trace) = HOLEID,SAMPLEID,FROM,TO,GRADE,LITHOLOGY (one can have two separate tables defining geology and assay samples)
    SURVEY FIELD (orientation corrections downhole) = HOLEID,DEPTH,AZIMUTH,DIP

Perhaps I need to RTFM 3D CSV files.
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited July 2010
    The COLLAR FIELD records with easting, northing, and elevation should be able to be read in directly, but the other two records don't appear to have the necessary coordinate information to be read in. They could perhaps come in as attribute lines for the COLLAR FIELD records though if they immediately precede those records and apply to them as well.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com