Global Mapper v25.0

UK 30M or close elevation data?

WHM70
WHM70 Global Mapper User
edited June 2014 in Elevation Data
Hi, I'm trying to track down a high resolution elevation map for the UK. I currently have access to a 100m SRTM tiff. While this is great at many heights, it's not holding up when I get in close. I would love to double it or perhaps do better. Is there a viable source for this? In particular I don't really have time or the skill to merge or repair data, so a commercial source may be the best bet. Finally, I haven't got Global Mapper running right now. The only PC in my office is out of action. So I apologise if this would be easy through the software.

Many thanks,

Will

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited June 2010
    Will,

Your best source for high-resolution elevation data for the UK would be www.intermap.com. They should be able to provide up to 5m resolution elevation data if you need it.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • WHM70
    WHM70 Global Mapper User
    edited June 2010
    Thanks Mike, I've been in touch with Intermap. I was a little shocked at the cost and may have to try something altogether different.

Cheers,

W
  • Matt
    Matt Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited June 2010
    You can increase the vertical exaggeration of the 90m SRTM data, which helps a bit. I doubt you will find any low cost alternatives that provide higher resolution than the SRTM data set.

I just finished a UK terrain map that merges the SRTM data with Blue Marble imagery. Look sort of like

http://www.gelib.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/terrain-maps1.jpg
  • Ollie
    Ollie Global Mapper User
    edited June 2010
    OSGB (Ordnance Survey Great Britian) have avaliable free data at a 50m grid I think. It is called Land-Form PANORAMA® and is available here https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/opendatadownload/products.html It is not update but should be as good as the STRM and is available in a number of formats Should be free of holes and other errors that occurin the STRM data
  • WHM70
    WHM70 Global Mapper User
    edited June 2010
    Thanks everybody! I'm following up on your suggestions now.

Cheers!

Will
  • guillaumevk
    guillaumevk Global Mapper User
    edited June 2014
    Hello,
    You can try using this website to get the topography of the UK and any other place in the world: topographic maps