Global Mapper Pro Coming Soon

Proper file storage format in GM for vector features?

dandan Global Mapper UserPosts: 5
edited June 2010 in Technical Support
I am currently creating point features with the digitizer tool, these points consist of location and a feature attribute. The points are created over a shapefile consisting of cadastral parcel boundaries. The points are on their own layer in the Layout Manager. I will be adding these points on a daily basis over the course of my work. It is critical to me that these points and features are not lost from this file as they will be used for years to come.My concern is that if someone in my company accidently closes this points overlay in the Layout Manager all is gone!!. What is the best and most secure way to save this file in GM? I am currently saving the file as a workspace and a package file in GM. Which is the most secure or failproof? Should i export these points as a shapefile instead? Just looking to save myself some grief possibly down the road. Thanks for your help on my previous posts.
Dan

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited June 2010
    Dan,

I would suggest periodically saving the data to a Global Mapper Package file, that way you'll have the data backed up somewhere other than a workspace file where the layer could be closed. You might also check the option in the Advanced section of the General tab of the Configuration dialog to 'Automatically Create Backup Copies of Workspace Files', that way you can have backups of your workspaces that you can restore if someone accidentally closes a layer and saves the workspace.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • dandan Global Mapper User Posts: 5
    edited June 2010
    Mike,
    Just wondering how this automatic backup works? is it a time limit or amount of data input?
    I have checked this on my configuration setup. Thanks again for your quick reply! especially on a weekend.
    Dan
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited June 2010
    Dan,

Here is the documentation for the option that describes what it does:

Automatically Create Backup Copies of Workspace Files - if checked, this option will cause your current workspace file to automatically be backed up every so often (i.e. after so many vector edits, etc.). These backup copies will be created in the same folder as the workspace file and have the suffix "auto_backupX", where X is a number from 0 to 9.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com