• Roger Edrinn
    Roger Edrinn Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited May 2011
    Nearly the same error again.

What do I do or not?
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2011
    What version are you getting this in? I haven't seen that error for a while and assumed it was gone.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited May 2011
    GM 11.02 April 5, 2011

I'm using GM11 because "P" = Area, don't like "A"
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited May 2011
    Good news, I think, I just opened the file in GM12 and it opened w/o problems and my data appears intact. This is a massive hydro file on which I have 3-days invested in editing. Would not like a do over.
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2011
    I think you'll need to move to v12 to fix the issue, I seem to remember finding it but it not being an easy fix to back-port to v11. Since you have a v12 license I would definitely suggest using that instead of an old version.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited May 2011
    Mike,

Help me understand what's happening? Is this a fatal error or an annoyance? Small data losses or crash the whole file?

Using A for area is a major productivity problem for me.

Thanks
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2011
    It's a pretty significant error, it means that any line changes in the particular layer that the save failure is occurring on won't be saved to the workspace or package file.

The only difference is just which letter to press when selecting just areas, once you learn to use one over the other it shouldn't be any different. It just didn't make sense to keep 'P' for areas once point-only selection was added, really should have been 'A' to start with, my brain was just saying polygon instead of area.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited May 2011
    It's a pretty significant error, it means that any line changes in the particular layer that the save failure is occurring on won't be saved to the workspace or package file.
    That helps. Lines, not areas? My editing is almost 100% areas.
    The only difference is just which letter to press when selecting just areas, once you learn to use one over the other it shouldn't be any different. It just didn't make sense to keep 'P' for areas once point-only selection was added, really should have been 'A' to start with, my brain was just saying polygon instead of area.
    It's not mental, it's physical. I use my mouse left-handed, so it's a long reach. But that's still a small issue, I almost always have to do two key, Cntl + A or P and keyboards vary at lot in Cntl placement. Cntl + A is just a whole lot more awkward than Cntl + P. I literally spend hours on end using Cntl + P.
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2011
    Actually sorry the error happens while saving the areas (they come before the lines in the file), the error is just noticed when the lines go to be saved and the file isn't where it expected to be. At that point none of the changes are saved, so it would actually lose all of the changes to that layer that had resulted in the error, so definitely a major error for your usage.

If you are just selecting from areas all the time you could just go to the Vector Display tab of the Configuration dialog and turn off selection from lines and points altogether, then you don't have to hold down any specify keys at all.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited May 2011
    Actually sorry the error happens while saving the areas (they come before the lines in the file), the error is just noticed when the lines go to be saved and the file isn't where it expected to be. At that point none of the changes are saved, so it would actually lose all of the changes to that layer that had resulted in the error, so definitely a major error for your usage.
    99% sure I know what caused the error. I was working on a very large lake (10K - 100K vertices) which was in three overlapping panels, none of which was the entire lake. After clipping the three panels, I attempted to combine them into a single area, that failed. No message just I still had three areas. Subsequent saves resulted in the error. Those three panels are all missing from the saved with error file.

I've now experimented with re-saving in GM12 and taking that file and opening and saving in GM11. All worked w/o an error. Relief!!!

If you are just selecting from areas all the time you could just go to the Vector Display tab of the Configuration dialog and turn off selection from lines and points altogether, then you don't have to hold down any specify keys at all.
    I'll try this and see how it goes.

Now if Global Mapper had a script "tool" that could recognize a line within an area, then I could write a script to transfer the line text to the area and just sit back and be amazed at GM doing all the heavy lifting. :)

Thanks
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited May 2011
    Same save error with GM 12.02.

I opened the shapefile with just the large lake and clipped and merged the four panels, found another. Then tried a save and got the same type of error from GM12.

The good news, I was able to open another instance of GM12, Copy/paste the lake and save that w/o an error.
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2011
    Roger,

Hmmm I guess the error isn't fixed then, must have been a different problem that I was thinking of that was fixed. You are right it likely has something to do with the failed combining. Can you provide your data so that I can try and reproduce the error and get it fixed? If you don't want to post here you can email to support@globalmapper.com.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited May 2011
    Do you want the shapefile and my process? Or the workspace file that errored? Or?

I'll post whatever you want to my website with a link(s). Not had much luck here, a gmp was found invalid.
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2011
    The shapefile and process so that I can get the same error you are seeing and try and figure out what's going wrong.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited May 2011
    I'm linking the shapefile and workspace file where I ran my two scripts to delete layers and attach type and name to all the objects. My process:
    • Click around on Shasta Lake and you'll quickly find the 4-panels.
    • I clipped each of 3-panels just outside the bounds of the left panel (named). You can't get under/inside the adjoining panel or it'll switch reference.
    • I then sequentially combined areas, but it most cases GM would do nothing. I was only able to join the clipped areas if I moved the vertexes directly on top the main panel, small gaps not allowed.
    • I suspect it was the non-combine that caused the save error.
    • When finished creating a single lake, I saved the workspace with all other waterbody features. That save errored.

Shapefile
    Workspace

Item 2
    If you look at my layer name, then if you click on an object in that layer with the edit tool, then it'll will identify that layer. However, if I use the ID tool, it will show another name, which was probably in the file header, not the layer name. Why?

Thanks
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2011
    Roger,

Aha, I was able to reproduce the issue and fix it. It had to do with the combine creating new areas with islands in them. I also updated the Feature Info dialog to show the layer description from the Control Center rather than the original layer description. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v12.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v12 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited May 2011
    Two for the price of one, way cool!!!

Islands, might have known. Islands seem to be the ban of all geo programers. I'll bet as soon as you saw those islands you ignored my process and hunch and went straight to a test.

My cGPSmapper compiler chokes on islands too, just that Stan is no where near as responsive as Mike. I grid my MP output into 30' extents, can result in a 150MB MP text file. cGPSmapper can breeze through one of those in 10-15 min. However one half that size with a few too many islands and nothing. No error message, the MS-DOS dialog just closes with no img file. I find the hole in my map later and recompile, still nothing. Have to split the 30' into 2-15'x30' extents.

Many thanks for your efforts.
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited May 2011
    Your reward, Go Rafting
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2011
    I am indeed keeping an eye on the water levels. When it finally warms up it should be an epic summer for rafting!
  • PaulTocknell
    PaulTocknell Forum Administrator Unconfirmed
    edited June 2011
    Just a FYI. GMP files are now enabled attachments (and yes, they should have been before)

Paul
  • nat6frank
    nat6frank Global Mapper User
    edited June 2011
    thanks for this print screen...

rackmount kvm console