Scripting - Assign "Feature Name"

Roger EdrinnRoger Edrinn Global Mapper UserPosts: 721Trusted User
edited June 2010 in Technical Support
I'm learning and using the powerful GM script language. At the bottom of the HTML How to is this example:
GLOBAL_MAPPER_SCRIPT VERSION=1.00

// Import the file to modify
IMPORT FILENAME="C:\Temp\export test\tiger_wyandotte_sample.gmp"

// Assign the type "railroad" to all features with a CFCC attribute with a value of A41
// and a display label with '74' in it somewhere.
ASSIGN_TYPE LINE_TYPE="RAILROAD" COMPARE_STR="CFCC=A41" COMPARE_STR="<Feature Name>=*74*"

As I understand the example, I can use the compare_str function to find a string, then assign a line type to all examples where the criteria is met. However, I cannot do a "double search" and assign a Feature name to those found lines where the Feature name = unknown.

Basically I'm trying to use generic lines types to define more than one feature by assigning a Feature name in addition to the line color/pattern. Same for areas. I'm not adding new line/area types because the MP code is so restricted.

If I can already do this, please point the way. If not, can this be added to the script language set?

Thanks

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited May 2010
    There isn't currently a way to assign feature names based on a search via the scripting language, but I can probably add that within too much trouble. I'll let you know when I have a new build with this capability.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited June 2010
    Roger,

I have a new ASSIGN_ATTR command ready for you to test (note that I haven't fully tested it yet, so it might not work at all) that allows assigning new attribute and/or label values based on matches against other attributes (similar to the ASSIGN_TYPE command). I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit version, there is a new build available at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

Here is the documentation for the new command:

ASSIGN_ATTR

The ASSIGN_ATTR command allows you to assign feature attributes and/or labels based on one or more attribute or label values. You can choose to add/update multiple attributes and/or label values with a single operation. You can also supply multiple COMPARE_STR parameters to apply multiple criteria, all of which must be true, in order to assign an attribute/label.

The following parameters are supported by the command:

* FILENAME - filename of the layer to assign attributes/labels to. If an empty value is passed in, all loaded vector layers will be updated. You can also pass in the value 'USER CREATED FEATURES' when running a script in the context of the main map view or loading a workspace to have the 'User Created Features' layer updated.
    * ATTR_VAL - specifies a the attribute value to updated and what value to assign to it. The format is attr_name=attr_value. For example if you want to set the value of an attribute named CFCC to A34, use ATTR_VAL="CFCC=A34". You can add multiple ATTR_VAL parameters to a single command to provide multiple attribute/value pairs (or labels) to add/update. If you would like to update the feature label rather than an attribute, use <Feature Name> for your attribute name.
    * COMPARE_STR - specifies a comparison operation to perform to see if a feature is one that needs to be updated. The format is attr_name=attr_value. For example if you have an attribute named CFCC and you want to match when the value of that attribute starts with an 'A', you can use COMPARE_STR="CFCC=A*" as your parameter. You can add multiple COMPARE_STR parameters to a single command to combine multiple criteria for your search. If you would like to compare against a feature label rather than an attribute, use <Feature Name> for your attribute name. To compare against a feature type name rather than an attribute, use <Feature Type> for your attribute name. To compare against the feature description, use <Feature Desc> for your attribute name.
    * CASE_SENSITIVE - specifies whether or not text comparisons are case sensitive or not. Use CASE_SENSITIVE=YES to enable, by default comparisons are not case sensitive.

For an example of how to use the ASSIGN_ATTR command, see the sample at the bottom of this document.
    Update Feature Attributes and Labels Based on an Attribute Value

GLOBAL_MAPPER_SCRIPT VERSION=1.00

// Import the file to modify
    IMPORT FILENAME="C:\Temp\export test\tiger_wyandotte_sample.gmp"

// Assign the name "Burlington Northern Railroad" to all features with a CFCC attribute with a value of A41
    ASSIGN_ATTR ATTR_VAL="<Feature Name>=Burlington Northern Railroad" COMPARE_STR="CFCC=A41"

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger EdrinnRoger Edrinn Global Mapper User Posts: 721Trusted User
    edited June 2010
    Looking forward to trying this, a new leap forward in scripting for me. Thanks for the example too. I'll let you know later tomorrow. I'll post something in the new script sub-forum.

One thing I've learned about using scripts, not only faster but more accurate once you've debugged the script.

Thanks