gaps between LiDAR tiles

jasonbjasonb Global Mapper UserPosts: 3
edited May 2010 in Elevation Data
I am trying to process LiDAR into a tin and make contours, but there are small gaps between the lidar tiles. In addition, there are slight differences in the elevations from one tile to the next. Is there some way to blend the data between the tiles so there aren't canyons at right angles in the contour file?

Thanks

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited May 2010
    What you can do is bring all of your LIDAR data in at once rather than individually creating grids, then create elevation grids from all LIDAR point layers at once. Just use the Gridding tab to split up the operation into smaller tiles if necessary. This should allow a continuous elevation grid to be created rather than limiting each tile to just the bounds of the source data, so you shouldn't have the gaps and canyons.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • jasonbjasonb Global Mapper User Posts: 3
    edited May 2010
    Thats exactly what I am trying to do.

The problem is that the data was delivered in tiles.

Some of the .las files, when opened together, have gaps between them

When the .las files are opened together in GM, you can see the gaps. Then when contours are created, there are valleys.

What I need to do is fill the gaps *between* the .las files.

here is a picture - notice the line east to west across the middle:

http://www.townofbethlehem.org/valley.jpg
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited May 2010
    If you load all of the *.las files as point cloud data, then create the grids from all layers at once from the Control Center, the gaps between the individual *.las tiles should automatically be interpolated and filled with a smooth transition over the gaps. The trick is to grid from all *.las point data at once and not individually from each tile.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com