hitting maximum number of files limit?

dmrdmr Global Mapper UserPosts: 23Trusted User
edited April 2010 in Elevation Data
Support,
Is there a maximum number of files limit that you can load in GlobalMapper at one time?
I am loading DTED0 for the whole world (approx 25,000 files). They are quite small so I don't think I am pushing the memory limit or anything of my PC (all files are about 566MB total). But about 3/4 of the way through the load I started getting messages that it could not load a file. And then it asked if I wanted to cancel loading the rest. After a few of these errors, I finally cancelled the rest. Then it started displaying all the dted it had loaded and then gave me the error I have attached to this thread.
PS - I loaded the files via the File > Open All Files in A Directory Tree... option (set to *.dt0).

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2010
    If you try to load all of the files individually you will eventually run out of memory. For such large collections of files, rather than loading them individually, use the File->Create New Map Catalog menu command and create a map catalog from the files. The map catalog will automatically handle loading and unloading the files as needed for display and export, allowing you to quickly manage huge collections of data without much memory usage.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • dmrdmr Global Mapper User Posts: 23Trusted User
    edited April 2010
    Sounds good. Doing now.