Does GM 9 do fly throughts like Google Earth

jakgeoffsubjakgeoffsub Global Mapper UserPosts: 2
edited April 2010 in Technical Support
Hi, new guy here.
I run a video production company and have a project where we have to create an imagimary port and rail line. I am wondering if Global Mapper 9 can do what Google Earth does but better- ie, with better resolution.

The idea is - start high above the area. Crane/zoom down and slide into an oblique perspective [45 degrees off the vertical] - hold the shot steady to see a wireframe created before your eyes of the new port facilities.

The CG is another area all together, other people will be doing that but I am wondering if GM can do this crane down and the rotation from the obique perspective. And sourcing the images is another issue all together.

I'd apreciate your advivce on this. Thx Geoffrey

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2010
    Assuming that you had the higher resolution imagery and the wireframe models, in GM v11 you could take a series of snap-shots from the 3D view in Global Mapper with the desired view, but there really isn't a way to automate it.

However, since you mention Google Earth if you have the higher res data and wireframes in GM, you could export the imagery to raster KML/KMZ files and the wireframes to 3D vector KML/KMZ files, then load those into Google Earth to get the higher res data and wireframes available in the Google Earth interface, which is obviously a superior 3D platform to the simple 3D viewer in Global Mapper.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • jakgeoffsubjakgeoffsub Global Mapper User Posts: 2
    edited April 2010
    Hi Mike

Very good info there thx Mike.

I'll mull all that over for a while and get back to you...since it is all possible, then the big question is - how do i get the high res images? The location is in Africa. And what formal/file type would they be in. And how would i convert them. I'm not familiar with your formats - just video ones like avi, mpeg etc.

So my seciond Q to you is - how do i source images? Are they still frames like that of a movie camera or digital images. Do they have stereo overlay...whats the story. I'm quite fascinated at the possibilites.:cool:
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2010
    Global Mapper has built-in access to numerous online data sources using the File->Download Online Imagery/Topo/Terrain Maps menu command. This includes high resolution aerial imagery, topographic maps, and terrain for the entire world from sources like DigitalGlobe, the US government, OpenStreetMaps.org, and Terraserver-USA. For other data sources, I'd suggest checking with any of the sites listed on the Find Data Online page at http://www.globalmapper.com, such as www.mapmart.com, www.digitalglobe.com, www.geoeye.com, www.usgsquads.com, or www.gisdatadepot.com to find the data that you need. You can work with any data that you obtain from those sites in Global Mapper.

Once you have high resolution imagery into Global Mapper, you can then export it to a raster KML/KMZ file using the File->Export Raster->Export KML/KMZ menu command to get something you can load into Google Earth. For the 3D wireframe data, use the File->Export Vector->Export KML/KMZ menu command.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com