Global Mapper 11 to Garmin GPS - examples

jbartlett79@gmail.comjbartlett79@gmail.com Global Mapper UserPosts: 5
edited April 2010 in GPS Features
I haven't been able to find many good examples of what GM11 is able to do with the new Garmin "custom maps" capability, so I thought I'd post a few. It appears that vector data (in one of these examples, the red line is the line plot from a cave map) is just flattened down with the raster, which is really exciting.

I may be wrong, but pretty much any cool thing you can manage to display on-screen in Global Mapper can now be used as a map in your Garmin device... within the device's parameters (and within reason), of course.

All examples are actual screenshots from a Garmin Colorado 300 with the latest firmware upgrade (which includes Garmin Custom Maps support). All data provided free by state and/or national USGS gateways... no subscription services required.

I have been very, very pleased with how easy the actual export-to-Garmin-device process is. Since Global Mapper was already my software of choice for these sort of things, there was literally no learning curve. Kudos are in order, GM11 is easily the most robust and elegant tool available for those who want to get the most out of the Colorado / Oregon / Dakota devices.

Example 1: USGS 24k topo, hillshaded in GM11 with 5M LIDAR elevation data, 0.2 mile zoom.

Example 2: The same USGS quad. Panned a bit, zoomed to 500ft & displaying an embedded vector object (this is a cave survey)

Example 3: High-res (for a rural area, anyway) USGS satellite imagery, with the GPSr displaying a track and waypoints. 800ft zoom.

Comments

• Frank2Frank2 Super Moderator Posts: 105
    edited April 2010
    Nice!!! Now if only I could find time to actually use my own Colorado ;)
  • Roger EdrinnRoger Edrinn Global Mapper User Posts: 721Trusted User
    edited April 2010
    Don't take my reply as shooting the messenger, but . . .

Your example clearly points to why raster maps do NOT belong on a small screen GPS. On a tabloid sized piece of paper those lovely analog maps are the gold standard, but on a 2-3" LCD it's not the same. I've placed a similar vector map side-by-side to illustrate my points, read below:

attachment.php?attachmentid=633 HonakerTr.gif

Let's assume I'd like to know the exact elevation of one of those contours. On the raster map, I'd first need to find any contour with a marked elevation, then count lines, multiply by 40, then add or subtract from the know elevation, not impossible, but darn near. By contrast, on the vector map, simply touch the contour of interest and viola an exact value pops up. Just like touching the buff area ID'ed it as the Navajo Reservation. Every object, (line, area, point), on the vector map has a similar ID, just touch it for the text descriptor.

Try and follow the black trail through the contours, then follow the red trail on the vector map. Zooming in won't help, the raster map will pixelate, the vector map won't.

I could go on and on with examples.
  • jbartlett79@gmail.comjbartlett79@gmail.com Global Mapper User Posts: 5
    edited April 2010
    If you'd like to discuss the value of the "custom maps" feature, that should maybe be a different thread. I just wanted to show what Global Mapper can do with the technology. It seems each approach has pros and cons, depending somewhat on the location and somewhat on the end user's needs.

In that vein, here is as close to an apples-to-apples comparison as I could manage. These screen captures are at the same point/scale and each show, from left to right:

Custom USGS 24k topo (raster), Garmin Topo 2008 (vector), Garmin 24k Topo (vector), and Custom satellite imagery (raster).

I'd call 800ft and 500ft "reasonable" zoom levels for hiking / canoeing / horseback / whatever, and 200ft pretty extreme.
  • jbartlett79@gmail.comjbartlett79@gmail.com Global Mapper User Posts: 5
    edited April 2010
    PS - don't take this reply as "shooting the messenger" either, but I'd expect someone who sells custom vector topo maps for Garmin devices to have a somewhat biased opinion in this regard. Your mileage may vary.