Getting error on export dwg

kfroesekfroese Geotechnical EngineerPosts: 165Trusted User
edited April 2010 in Technical Support
I've tried exporting my vector data in DWG format using both 64 and 32-bit versions without success. I tried 2000 and 2007 version exports to see if that was the issue. Both versions are giving the same error message - this is the one from the 32bit attempt:
Error exporting H:\17\393-488 Transmission Line - High Level to Sulphur Point\Calculations\393-488-GM Export-100414.DWG
Not opened for write
DWGExporter.cpp - 337
Version: v11.02
Build Time: Apr 12 2010 21:12:03

Thanks for any light you can shed on it. I'm trying to see if the DWG export would maintain my point styles which the DXF export didn't do.

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2010
    From the error message it sounds like the file that you selected to write to could not be written to (perhaps someone else has it open or you don't have permission to write to the selected folder?). Can you try writing to a new file to a different location see if that helps?

Note that the DWG format isn't going to save your point symbology any better than DXF. The only formats that will fully maintain symbology will be the Global Mapper Package and Simple ASCII Text formats.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • kfroesekfroese Geotechnical Engineer Posts: 165Trusted User
    edited April 2010
    I tried exporting to My Desktop and C:\ and got the same error message. Could it be a Win7 issue? Or the read/write properties of one of the files in the workspace?

By the way, the Select Features on a layer option is great!
  • Frank2Frank2 Super Moderator Posts: 105
    edited April 2010
    Writing to C:\ is normally disallowed for Vista & Win7 due to UAC. The desktop may have the same problem. If you can create a folder on C though, you should be able to save to that.
    edited April 2010
    I tried My Documents and a temp folder in C:\ instead - no dice. Besides, I disabled UAC - it's better than in Vista but it still gets me grouchy with its interfering ways...
    edited April 2010
    If you try another export to the same location, say a DXF export, does that work fine? I just want to make sure this is a DWG export issue and not something specific to any export on your computer.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited April 2010
    Tried my temp folder in C:\ and the dxf went fine. The dwg didn't work - same error. Tried turning of the largest of the vector layers and the dwg still didn't go.

I think found the start of the problem. I started doing dwg layer by layer. Seemed to be an issue with User Created Features which was mostly areas. That failed but after closer examination, I saw a couple of line and point features that had moved on to the User layer after I had modified them. So I put them back on to the layer they were supposed to be on and then the DWG exported that areas just fine.

So then I left only one layer on - the one I had moved the edited features to - and it failed to export with the error mentioned earlier although the DXF exported fine. So I exported that layer as a separate workspace and tried again - same result: DXF was fine, DWG failed (32 and 64 bit). This particular layer is point labels and line drawn using a digitizer tablet and Trace Mode. I have uploaded the file for your consideration.
    edited April 2010
    I can duplicate your issue, so I'll see if I can figure out what's happening later tonight.
    edited April 2010
    Way ahead of you, problem already fixed. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit version, there is a new build available at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited April 2010
    See folks, that's support ;)
    edited April 2010
    That is support!

Just tried it and it works beautifully now on both the test workspace and the original.

Thanks!